Tuning your Spitfire

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Haynes are well known in Britain for producing manuals for car owners. I've owned copies for every car I've ever owned (except the last one - I became too lazy to fiddle with the engine). Now they are intending to bring out one to enable you to tune your very own Spitfire!!!

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=44001&langId=-1

[​IMG]

I'll probably buy the manual - it's just the Spit that could be tricky to get my hands on.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I must get the Haynes manual!

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Oh, I was hoping that you'd get the Spit and I'd bring along the manual and a ratchet set.

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Give me time please! Old billionaires unstable on their feet are a bit thin on the ground these days.

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Kyt, yep, I own a copy (signed by the authors when I was at Flying Legends 99 when the book was released). The photography is superb, beyond words in fact. It is worth getting it for that alone. It's probably dated now as it covers restorations that were active or finished by 99 but the pics are just stunning. Can't really comment on the words as it's been a while since I read it but this book is worth the money. You forget the words are there because the pics are so fine!

Just read the reviews and obviously the pics have had their impact on others as well. Reviews were a bit harsh though. Just flicked through it and the text is largely what you'll read elsewhere about the Spit but there's good detail about construction and layout. You've read a lot about the Spit so there might not be much new there.

This book is not worth the 50 quid Amazon lists though!!!! It cost me 16.95 pound in 1999. Ebay job, Kyt!

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers, Andy. Amazon reviews can be a bit difficult to intrepret because some are just one-liners.

I've found copies in the £20 range so shall have to keep an eye out for a slightly cheaper bargain.

9. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

You can get the Spitfire V manual which is the reprint of the Air publication. But i am not much of a Spitfire fan, i was more interested in the Hurricane before I discovered Bombers!

10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Whats the betting on a Lancaster, Hurricane and whatever else they can squeeze money out of us for editions?