Trinidad Memorials

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Jerome, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Member

Kyt: As promised, some photos of our Memorials. This one is dedicated to all those Trinidadians killed in Military Aviation. The period covered is from 1914 to 1958 (last known Trinidad dead). The left side plaque depicts a WW1 scene, the right side plaque shows a PBM Mariner attacking a U-Boat. The names are on the center. However, since taking over the project of up-dating our aviation database, I will need to make a drastic do-over on this listing. The figure was designed and sculptured by a local noted sculptor, Mr Pat Choo Foon.
    This, and the other four Memorials I will be posting here, are all located within the Chaguaramas Military Museum compound, and each Remembrance Day, we, together with the local Veteran Organisations, hold our own Remembrance Day Service. Wreaths are laid on all five Memorials. We hold this Service on Nov 11th except when such day falls on a Sunday.

Also, on ANZAC Day, The Australia HC and the BHC (standing in for the Kiwis), hold an ANZAC Day Service, followed by a "Gunfire Breakfast". The Service starts at 5.30 am., with the Reading and Wreath laying taking place at this Memorial. This will be the 5th Year - and I have yet to try the rum & milk!
    [​IMG]

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thank you Jerome. It looks like a good memorial.

Do you happen to have bigger pictures, or the names on the panels?

3. Jerome

Jerome Member

You mean like this? Will have to re-shoot using a better camera. There are some errors/omissions etc on the list. I would prefer to have them corrected before posting publicly - which does not mean that I wouldn't send them privately.
    [​IMG]

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have just received the photos of the headstones of the three RAAF lads who are buried at Port of Spain St. James Military Cemetery (thanks Duncan).

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Thank you Jerome. Could you PM me the list of names for my files? Cheers

6. Jerome

Jerome Member

This one is the Naval Memorial. It was dedicated in 1992, the first to be erected at the Museum. The left side plaque is dedicated to the RN, TRNVR and Merchant Marine sailors who died. The right side plaque is in memory of the U-Boat crews who "served" over here. This was presented by survivors of U-615 at a re-union held in Trinidad in October 1992. Also present were members of VP204 as well a member from the POW Camp in Arizona.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]