Tom Hall DFC, RIP - Typhoon pilot

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Adrian Roberts, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A sad day indeed. He is featured in a chapter of Michael Veitch's Flak which I note has just been re-released in a smaller format. Having listened to the audio book many times, I think it was Tom Hall who thrust a copy of his book on Veitch with a "Have you read my book?"

Typhoon Warfare - Reminiscences of a Rocket Firing Typhoon Pilot.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Attached Files:

• Hall.jpg
      Hall.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

In Veitch's book, he recounts a terrible day with all flying effectively cancelled until four aircraft are requested. As soon as they take off, they're in cloud. Continuing on at height, they (S/L included) reach the coordinates but can't see anything. They enter a dive and as the speed builds up and the height winds down, Hall becomes increasingly worried. Knowing the instruments can't be too accurate from the stress of hard combat flying, he knows they must be getting low but is hesitant to break radio silence. As he is about to key the radio, he hears the S/L say "I...". That's all Hall needs and he pulls back hard on the stick. Landing back at base, only three aircraft return. They wait but nothing. Weeks later, the army advances through the area where the Typhoons had dived and find the wreck of Hall's squadron mate. It turned out the four of them had flown down into a valley. The aircraft that crashed, a pilot of similar experience to Hall, had descended in line with the sides of the valley so had less air under him before the valley floor. Hall and the other two, Hall realises, must have been within seconds of a similar fate.

This flight really shook Hall up, understandably. I think it was op 120 of his 122. Very sobering.

Would he be mentioned in Tintacks, Kyt, given his ops against the V1s and V2s?