The Story of the 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by sniper, Oct 21, 2007.

1. sniper

sniper Active Member

Does anyone know anything about this unit? From what i have found it says they were with 133 Brigade and sent to Iraq and Persia in 1943. The problem i have is that the guy i'm researching was killed in 1942 and is buried in El Alamein War Cemetery. Any information about this unit would be of use including what they actually did.
    Thanks all
    Mike (Sniper) :peep:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Mike

As you've stated, the 5th (along with 2nd & 4th, and the 4th Battalion The Buffs) was part of the 133rd Infantry Brigade

[​IMG]

The 133rd was at the following places:

[​IMG]

and was subordinate to the following units:

[​IMG]

Depending upon when your chap died, one could narrow down where the 5th was, and what they would have been participating in.

The above details come from: http://www.ordersofbattle.com/

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Kyt,

Many thanks for this information. He died on the 27th October 1942. Was this unit an ordinary infantry unit? If so it has a posh name name it. Were they part of the Desert Rats?
    Again many thanks for your help so far.
    Mike (Sniper)

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

2nd battle of El Alamein!

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

44th (Home Counties) DivisionA first line Territorial infantry division at the outbreak of war, the Division served briefly on the continent in April and May 1940, then trained in the UK until May 1942. It arrived in Egypt in July 1942. The Division fought in several engagements in North Africa, and was disbanded after El Alamein where it fought in the southern sector of the front; official disbandment of Divisional Headquarters followed in late January 1943.
    Composition Jul 1942 - Jan 1943 Major Battles
    131 Infantry Brigade
    (to 29 Oct 42)
    1st/5th Queen's Royal Regiment 1st/6th Queen's Royal Regiment 1st/7th Queen's Royal Regiment 132 Infantry Brigade
    (to 13 Nov 42)
    4th Royal West Kent Regiment 5th Royal West Kent Regiment 2nd Buffs 133 Infantry Brigade
    (to 8 Sep 42)
    4th Buffs4th Royal Sussex Regiment5th Royal Sussex Regiment2nd Royal Sussex Regiment
    23 May 40 - 29 May 40 St. Omer - La Bassee 30 Aug 42 - 7 Sep 42 Alam el Halfa 23 Oct 42 - 4 Nov 42 El Alamein
    [​IMG]

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Mike

The Cinque Ports is the name given to a series of towns that run along the coast of Kent and Sussex. I haven't found anything definative but the name given to the Battalions seems to predate WW1, and I have a feeling that they were originally raised as local protection forces against any threats from the Channel (they were TA units).

By the time of WW2, the names were just honours, and the battalions were "ordinary" infantry.

It would be worth checking the activities of the 10th Armoured Division, as the Brigade was still part of it when your chap died.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

8. sniper

sniper Active Member

You guys are just awesome. Many many thanks for this information. I have now got some info on one of the guys i've been having real trouble with.
    I had a phone call yesterday from the son of one of the Didcot casualties, though he was only 5 when his father died he was able to give me a little info and he's going to send me a photo of his father as well as a photo of his medals etc. Thats a result.
    The ones i have most trouble with though are guys who were in the RAOC, RASC, REME and RS. Any idea on how i can track these guys down? I know where they are buried but its tracking their units. They could be attached to any regiments who are in the area at the time.
    Thanks again guys, again youv'e come up trumps.
    Mike (Sniper)

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Mike,

I'm afraid that from what I learnt from others who have tried the RAOC, RASC, REME and RS are a bugger to research. Unless one gets lucky and their name is mentioned in a history, or the family has some more details, then it is a needle and haystack job

10. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thats what i'm finding as well Kyt. I think the best i can hope for is that some of these guy's next of kins come forward and are willing to get the records for me from the mod, or at least give me written permission to apply for them myself.
    Guess its going to be putting another article in the local papers and fingers crossed some of them come forward this time.
    Thanks again for your help, just been reading about the 2nd battle of El Alamein so its useful background info at least.
    Mike (Sniper)