The Reconnaissance Spitfire

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by mfg495, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mfg495

mfg495 Member

I first posted this on another site, so sorry if some members have already seen it.

The story of the Spitfire as a photographic reconnaissance aircraft starts at the end of 1939, by which time operational experience with Blenheims and Lysanders used on photographic missions had shown that an aircraft capable of flying much faster and higher was needed.

A special flight, christened the "Heston Special Flight" was formed, and was equipped with two Spitfires specially converted at RAE. Farnborough. With one F.24 camera mounted vertically in each wing these Spitfires did not prove satisfactory. The first, unsuccessful, sortie was made from a French base against Aachen on November 18, 1939; after a few more sorties the Flight returned to Heston on January 11, 1940.

Re-named No. 2 Camouflage Unit, the Flight studied its mistakes and the shortcomings of the Spitfire as then converted, and there was evolved the first of a series of Photographic Reconnaissance Spitfires, forerunners of the Spitfire PR.MkXI, probably the most successful photographic reconnaissance aircraft in the world. The original modification was designated the Spitfire PR Mk A; the next model, a service conversion made at Heston was the Spitfire PR Mk B. One of the disadvantages discovered with the Spitfire A was the lack of range, so a 29-gallon fuel tank was introduced into the rear fuselage, behind the pilot, on the Spitfire PR Mk B. One vertical camera was carried in a fairing beneath each wing; only a few Spitfire PR Mk.Bs were produced. At his point, the Heston Aircraft Co., Ltd was asked to under-take the development work on the Spitfire and to that company must go the credit for the ground work which eventually enabled the RAF, to obtain complete photographic coverage of enemy territory.

The first Heston Aircraft conversion was the Spitfire PR Mk.C, which for the first time used a vertical camera in the fuselage. The wing blisters were retained, but carried two cameras under the port wing, and additional fuel under the starboard wing. Extra oxygen was carried for maximum high altitude flying, and the 29-gallon rear fuselage tank was also retained. Next in line came the first variant used in appreciable numbers.

The Spitfire PR Mk.D, as it was designated, incorporated several important modifications; a fuel tank of 66 gallons capacity was fitted in the leading edge of each wing, which gave a total fuel capacity of 218 gallons, there being no rear fuselage tank. No cameras were carried in the wings, but two F 8 (20-in.), F.24 (20-in.) or F.24 (14-in.) were mounted in tandem in the fuselage; these were "split,' i.e., both were slightly off vertical so that two overlapping photographs were taken simultaneously.

Other features were hot air camera heaters, glycol cockpit heater and extra oxygen. The additional petrol necessitated more oil being carried, and this was provided in a 14-gallon tank in a small teardrop fairing beneath the port wing. Records of the Spitfire E are incomplete. It was a modification jointly evolved by R.A.E. and Photographic Development Unit (which the Camouflage Unit had now become) at Benson, and apparently mounted a camera in each wing, and one for oblique shots in the fuselage side behind the pilot. Almost concurrently with the Spitfire PR Mk.D, Heston Aircraft produced the Spitfire PR Mk.F, which allowed for the installation of one vertical F.8 (20-in.) camera, or two F.8 (20-in.) vertical split cameras, or two F.24 (20-in.) vertical and one F.24 (14-in.) oblique cameras. Oxygen economizers were fitted for the first time and additional oxygen bottles were carried, one in each wing and one behind the rear fuselage tank.

"Teardrops" were introduced on each side of the cockpit hood, to improve downward and rear ward vision, but the windscreen was not bullet-proof. Additional fuel was carried in a 29-gallon rear fuselage tank and in blister tanks under each wing; the capacity of the nose oil tank was increased and this resulted in a deepening of the cowl line, an important recognition feature of the late PR.MkXI.

The final alphabetical variant to emerge was the Spitfire PR Mk.G, which was the first armed photographic reconnaissance Spitfire, having standard "A" wing armament of eight 0.50-in. machine-guns. Two independently operated vertical cameras, an F.24 (5-in.) forward and F.24 (14-in.) aft, were mounted in the fuselage, and an F.24 (8-in.). (14-in.) or (20-in.) could be mounted to port or starboard behind the pilot for oblique shots. An F.24 could be mounted for rearward and downward shots in the port cockpit door. All cameras were electrically heated, one extra oxygen bottle, and oxygen economizers were carried, the windscreen was bullet-proof and the cockpit had "teardrops," and a reflector sight was fitted. Armour plate was carried behind the pilot, and a rear fuselage tank, but no additional oil, was carried. While development of this series of Spitfires was in its late stages, the decision was made to put certain of the variants into production.

The alphabetical designations were not in accordance with the standard form of notation of mark numbers. So the two models for production, the Spitfire D and Spitfire PR Mk.G, became in production. The Spitfire PR.MkXI and Spitfire PR.Mk.Vll (since D and G are the fourth and seventh letters of the alphabet respectively). Whereas the Spitfire A-G series had been powered by Merlin II, III or XII motors (being Spitfire I or II conversions), the Spitfire PR.Mk.VII, 229 of which were produced, had variously a Merlin 45, 46, 50, 50A, 55 or 56, and also provision was made in the production versions for an oblique F.24 camera.

Provision was made for tropicalization and a number of Spitfire PR.Mk.IV's was used in the Middle East. The Spitfire PR.Mk.Vll, which had no provision for tropicalization, was powered by a Merlin 45 or 46. The last Spitfire for which Heston Aircraft was responsible was the Spitfire PR.Mk.XIII, a low-level fighting scout generally similar to the PR.Mk.VII. Prior to starting conversion of Spitfire V's to XIIl's, Heston Aircraft modified the last two Spitfire Gs up to XIII standard, but fitted them with Merlin 45 motors.

The PR.Mk.XIII was powered by a 1,620 h.p. Merlin 32 motor, driving a four-blade airscrew, and was armed in all cases with only four 0.303-in, machine-guns. It was the first PR. type to have provision for a flat belly drop tank of standard Spitfire type, a 30-gallon tank being applicable, camera installation was two independent vertical F.24 (5-in.), (8-in.), (14-in.), (20-in.) or (20-in. Telephoto), and one port or starboard oblique F.24 (5-in.), (8-in.). (14-in.) or (20-in,). Instead of the cockpit teardrops, a balloon hood was fitted, and the windscreen was bullet proof. Only twenty-live Spitfire PR.Mk.XIII's were produced.

More to follow soon…………..

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Hi MFG, thanks for all this; its more detail than I've read before.

AFAIK the original PRU Spitfires were adaptations of the Mk I, and the first purpose-built version was the Mk IV (or PR IV?) Were the A,B,C etc that you mention above sub-types of these marks?

I also remember reading that some of the original flight were painted pink as camo was thought unnecessary; is this true or a myth?

There was conflict between the original leader of the Flight, the unorthodox Australian WW1 veteran Sidney Cotton, who had photographed Nazi installations clandestinely before the war and had a relaxed approach to Service tradition, and Geoffrey Tuttle the career RAF officer sent in to get things under control.

Adrian

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

5. mfg495

mfg495 Member

Adrian,

There were 'pink' Spitfires basically these were used in the low-level reconnaissance role and were used by 16 Squadron FR (Fighter Reconnaissance) Mk.IX's. The 'blue' aircraft were used for high-level reconnaissance.

All the early versions A through to G (the first armed recce aircraft) were conversions from the original Mk 1 Spitfire. However, over time with bits and peaces being added and other bits being removed, they looked totally different.

Attached Files:

6. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Andy, Spidge
    The Sidney Cotton book on Amazon looks tempting, though $39 + p&p is a bit steep. He must have been a real-life "Biggles" - especially with flying operationally in both wars.

The People's War account is interesting too. The Sidcot suit that he invented in WW1 was by far the best clothing for a flyer to keep out the cold while retaining freedom of movement, and as it says, the Germans wore captured examples. I have read that Cotton refused to make a financial profit from a wartime invention.

I've seen two conflicting accounts as to when he died - 1969 or 1989. Even the former would be a reasonable innings.

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

AR, Feb '69 if I read the last few pages of the book properly.

I didn't pay $39 for mine, more like $15 (mass market paperback) off Ebay. Kyt will attest that I rarely pay $39 for a book! LOL. Will keep an eye out for you. I posted the Amazon link because it had a picture of the book.