The Railway Man

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by aghart, Jan 5, 2014.

1. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

This is a film I am looking forward to see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Railway_Man_(film)

The true story of a British POW, captured at Singapore, forced to work on the Burma/Thailand railway, who in later life travels to see the guard who tortured him!

2. aghart

I have now purchased the book. Interesting to see how the film differs from the book.

3. Kate

Kate Active Member

Ahhh... The Railway Man by Eric Lomax. Thank you for mentioning this book, @aghart ... it's on my Kindle wish list now and sounds very good. Actually I think I'll download the sample chapters tonight... usually gives me a good idea about the rest of a book.

I don't know anything about the movie, but the reviews on the book are excellent.

Now since you'll get yours before I will, I expect a full book report right here at the forum! :p

4. aghart

Oh the pressure!

5. Kate

Kate Active Member

Pressure's good for ya... keeps the heart pumping and the senses on alert. o_O

I got the sample... only 12 chapters, but nearly 300 pages (Kindle version.) As soon as I read the first two paragraphs, I knew it would be a good book. It drew me in and it's not a dry read... always a good sign.

Enjoy the read!

6. aghart

I have finally got round to finishing the Railway Man. A great book, I was struck by the fact that very few guards were present in the camps and at Changi prison on Singapore the guards stayed outside!