The Queen's Cavalry

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by John, Mar 25, 2009.

1. John

John Active Member

I have been watching this TV show for some weeks now and have found it very interesting. The horses are beautiful and well looked after. The soldiers spend up to 5 hours per day just looking after their gear, which would drive me batty. Some of the peak caps worn by the Officers and NCO look very uncomfortable as the peak comes straight down their forhead and onto the bridge of their noses. Has anyone else watched this show ??
    :horse:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I missed it when it was on here 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't think it has ever been repeated on any of the channels that I have access to

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I've seen bits and pieces of it. I think I saw the graduation episode about 18 months ago - everything looked uncomfortable but immaculate.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I cna help you out a little here as my father was a Corporal of the Horse (Sergeant) for the Life Guards.

The peaked caps are the usual ones handed out to all NCO's/Officers in the Army, what the Household Cavalry do however is to unstitch the peak at either side a bit, then they push it up into the inside of the cap until it lies flat on their foreheads. it just a thing the household does.

The boots take the most time to clean, and it is a mixture of polish and.... actually not telling you. ;) But it is hours of work to get the shine on them, then worn once and they have to start over as the movement of the leather cracks the surface.

The uniforms are extremely uncomfortable, and the jack boots do make it impossible to move, however that is what it takes.

And when the cavalry are on the move in London they have right of way by law. I remember him telling us a story of a black cab shooting out of a side road and forcing its way into the middle of the column, whereupon the horses went nuts and started to kick the crap out of the cab. Once things had calmed down it was the cabbie who was dragged off to the station and charged.

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A very proud tradition that receives the respect it deserves. Did not know that about your Dad, Kitty. Will PM you.

6. John

John Active Member

Hi Kitty,
    You must have been proud of your dad in his uniform. The horse equipment would have also taken a lot of time.
    :a025:

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I think the cleaning was the major past time of the troopers.