The National World War II Museum Fund

Discussion in 'Latest News' started by Ferhilt, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Dear Friends,

With a new site feature at nationalww2museum.org I recently created a fund to help support The National World War II Museum of which I am a Charter Member. This is the official World War II Museum in the US designated by congress. Please help us make a difference.

Whatever you can give will be appreciated, and everything helps. Thank you for your support.

(Yes I donated too, not for the first time.)

(PS If you really want you can set up your own fund page there as well.)

Sincerely,

Steve Terjeson

To make a donation online, visit our fund center.

*Shameless plug, but its for a good cause :becky:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

How terrific that the building is still standing ... and she has survived Hurricane Katrina and her destruction with no serious damage ! You are so lucky nothing was stolen or damaged :clapping: is this the museum Tom Hanks is interested in ?? I know he's very involved in the new monument ... and I wondered about the museum also !

Good Luck Steve ... what an achievement !!

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

An interesting project. Am I missing something in thinking that it is surprising that the US doesn't have something like the IWM or AWM i.e. a museum that commemorates all Americans in all conflicts and is a major source for archives?

4. liverpool annie

You'd go "nuts" at the Smithsonian Andy !! :)

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Already am nuts!

Went there in '89, Annie but only remember the aircraft (and admittedly before I developed a greater understanding of aviation beyond the machines). I know the Smithsonian has a large natural history bent as well but am I right in thinking there is no national museum to remember all Americans who have died in conflict? I understand there are excellent memorials such as the Vietnam Wall etc, some of which I have been lucky to see myself, and museums such as the USAFM, but there doesn't seem to be a "central" museum like the Imperial War Museum (which I know has branches at Duxford etc). Perhaps there is so much "competition" from the various conflict interest groups that something of such scope would be too hard.

It's great that there is so much interest in the US and so many memorials and museums. The National WWII Museum will fill a lot of holes and is a commendable project (my attempt to get back on track with this thread!). Going from the events and exhibitions scheduled, the museum looks like a great place to visit.

6. liverpool annie

To answer your question Andy No ! ... there is no national museum yet but they are building one in Washington ! but theres all kinds of different ones all over the country !! :)

U.S. Military Museums

The United States has a wealth of military museums maintained by the Armed Services as well as by veterans groups and other private organizations. The Army Museum System is described, with links, by the U.S. Army Center for Military History. Many of those museums are also described in the table below.

Specialized museums can also be found elsewhere on Olive-Drab.com such as on the Navy & Ships and Military Aviation pages.

U.S. MILITARY MUSEUMS