The Caspian Sea Monster

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by Kyt, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

There was an Equinox Channel 4 programme on these few years ago - I videoed it. I think Jeremy Clarkson mentioned it in one of his non-car programmes a few years back so he probably put May onto it.

The original, giant Ekranoplan was truly awesome, but I'm not sure how much use it would have been. The smaller ones around today, are interesting but again I'm not sure how much use; they tend to go very fast in areas where there are a lot of small boats to hit.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Very cool. I've read about them before but don't think I've seen footage of them working.

5. Adrian Roberts

You've got the "drawing pin" symbol right over it!

My video is the old-fashioned tape so I can't download it! But I'm sure there will be a clip on YouTube or somewhere similar.

Did any of you in the UK see the James May programme this evening, that started with the ekranoplan? Interesting, though some devices had rather tenuous links to the subject of future transport, but if he got ride in a Harrier out of it, who can blame him? Did you notice the red aircraft he was flying - G-OCOK! Fans of "Top Gear " will know that his favourite more-or-less-broadcastable expletive is "Oh, Cock!" I checked the registration and this aircraft, a Champion Super Decathlon, is indeed registered to one James Daniel May.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

He's a character. Refreshingly so given some of the types on TV these days.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Some people are just so fussy!! Right click on the drawing pin and click Clear Research Results. That will remove it

I missed half the programme and only caught it from the Harrier onwards. Am disappointed he doesn't own a Spitfire or Lancaster, considering his predilection towards mentioning the war at every opportunity :becky:

8. Adrian Roberts

You should be able to download the programme from BBC i-player - for the next seven days

BBC iPlayer - Home

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Just caught the repeat, and some screen grabs

Attached Files:

• E1.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
    • E2.jpg
      E2.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • E3.jpg
      E3.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
    • E4.jpg
      E4.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • E5.jpg
      E5.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi All,

I used to fly over the Caspian Sea, at great altitude, and would often think of this machine. Also, how unlikely it would have been to be flying overhead not that many years ago.

The documentary was fascinating.

Cheers

Owen