The battles that Hollywood won?

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, May 15, 2009.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

John Wayne single handed defeated the IJA at Milne Bay, seems by this movie the only fighting that took place was the final defence of air feild.
    The Duke was on a .50 on half track.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Sounds like the Seabees movie.

3. fenquat

fenquat New Member

Not a Hollywood Flic, but Gregory peck is playing an RAF Pilot, in Burma during WWII...since his charecter is 'Canadian' no bad British accent to mess up. I had never heard of this flic before and am watching it right now. I stumbled into it switching channels just as the starboard engine caught fire and they crashed .

It's called "The Purple Rain".

Looks like I'm watching it to the end

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Funny - Only saw it a few weeks back here in Oz!

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Actually called The Purple Plain :) based on a book by H E Bates (of The Darling Buds of May fame)

Bates wrote pretty authentic war stories because that was his role in the RAF during WW2, and served in the Far East too

6. fenquat

fenquat New Member

<slaps side of head> OMG....did I actually type that? You are quite correct.

7. bigvern

bigvern New Member

Has anyone seen the the mini series Band of Brother that is shown on the history channel? I watched it a few month back with one of my fathers friends that served in the war he said the footage of the shelling in the Arden forest was very close to how thing where for him. He actually had to walk out of the room a few times to regain his composer

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've seen the series and it is excellent for what it is - a series about a group of US personnel. I think the only issue that the people of Nritain had was that it showed no depiction of non-US personnel. But I suppose that is excusable because of the nature of the subject matter - unlike Saving Private Ryan which depicts D-Day purely from an American perspective

9. *Arf*

*Arf* New Member

Why would there be anything but US troops in a movie that takes place entirely within the US sectors of the beach? The movie's intent was not to portray the entire landings a la The Longest Day, but rather the ficticious recovery of a US paratrooper by a rather small group of soldiers, fully within the US combat areas. Do we need to see a British FAC or quartermaster group to tell that particular story?

I would think that if it were the same movie, but showing the recovery of a 6th AB trooper, it would be ludicrous to show US troops on Sword Beach.

10. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I love the American B/O/B! I am like you though,i would love to also see a British B/O/B's point of view.

11. Heidi

Heidi New Member

MEMPHIS BELLE.

The orginal script and idea was from a British director (Jones) was entirley base around an RAF Lancaster Bomber Squadron.
    But Warner Studios wanted it to feature American pilots and demanded the script to be change or they would pull out of the project stating that "It's full of Brits and what does the American market care about British things"
    Conseqenty the entrie film was re worked to the American way.

It seems to me WW2 was only frought by the Americans,i thought ww2 was a world war??? LOL.

12. bigvern

bigvern New Member

???

OK I know I am new here and not familiar with all the terms. What is B/O/B? I'll probably be slapping myself for asking this.:doh: lmao

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Band of Brothers

14. bigvern

bigvern New Member

Thanks

I really fell stupid now since i started the subject:doh::doh:

15. Antipodean Andy

Heidi, do you mean the original Memphis Belle doco by William Wyler or the 'modern' film starring Matthew Modine et al?

To my knowledge, the original was always meant as a morale-building film about a Fortress crew.

16. Heidi

Heidi New Member

AA- Im positive it was written for the British! If i recall rightly,the director last name was Jones! There was another name written down but i never took any notes of it,cause i did not know it was going to be important to do so lol.
    I had no idea there was two Memphis Belles other wise i would have writtten all the names down.

I am not to shore though.

17. Antipodean Andy

Heidi, the director of the 'modern' MB was Michael Caton-Jones so you might be onto something there.

From the entry for MB on IMDB - Memphis Belle (1990)