The battles that Hollywood won?

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, May 15, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Over the years we have had films produced by Hollywood that "revise" history to some degree or another so as to make the action and/or actors Americancentric.

I think it is time we started compiling a list of such fims. The rules are that either history has been distorted to portray that a particular action/battle was won by the Americans, or the central character is American without whom the action/battle would have been lost

1) Saving Private Ryan - completely ignores the non-American contributions to D-Day

2) U-571 - the claim that the Enigma machine was captured by them first

3) Merrill's Marauders - Burma was won by the Americans

4) Von Ryan's Express - excellent adventure but the sole American lead makes the British look incompetent and lacking

Add yours to the list

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Escape to Victory - bad film made worse by the token American given central place

The Great Escape - excellent fim but the historical authenticity spoilt by the use of an Anerican in a key role

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Objective, Burma! - good old Errol saves the day in Burma

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Bridge on the River Kwai - Holden saves the day

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I thought John Wayne won the war?

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

El Alaméin (also called Desert Patrol)

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

So Rita won the War?

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Sounds like it

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I kinda like the idea of Rita winning the War

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Errol Flynn was Australian so it is not so bad. I must admit to watching it again a few weeks ago.

11. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

12. fenquat

fenquat New Member

Don't forget the Americans in "The Great Escape"

13. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I have got one,not a movie thuogh.
    (The Alllied pint of viewe)The History channel ist pro American and antiy British in most cases.

14. smaja

smaja New Member

Sahara (1995) with James Belushi

And guess what, they won the battle.

15. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The Humphrey Bogart version is much better.

16. robbielynne

robbielynne New Member

How can we forget "Pearl Harbor",,,all the way around...loll. without Ben Affleck we would have all lost...but the part of Doolittle's Raid was good..i had never heard of it until I saw the movie...

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I agree and the Bogart version was ground breaking for its depiction of a lead black character.

18. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I have heard that pearl habour was off the plot alot!

19. robbielynne

robbielynne New Member

The actual bombing of Pearl Harbor in the movie is pretty close to what it really must have been like..the utter descruction of Battleship Row is eery..the story of the fictional characters are second rate..and the Doolittle Raid is good also..the rest is Hollywood's spin on it..

20. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Other than the bombing of Spruance class destroyers and Kidd class frigates! :lol: