The American Civil War 1861-1865

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by spidge, Nov 12, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

The American Civil War 1861-1865

Garry Owen

Battle Hymn Of The Republic

http://www.us-civilwar.com/

[​IMG] [​IMG] United States Civil War[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]"War is a hellish way to settle a disagreement"[/SIZE]
    The American Civil War (1861 - 1865) was one of the most violent times in the History of the United States. Many books have been written on all aspects of the Civil War.

More than 600,000 men gave their lives for their country in this war. This is more lives lost in one war than in all wars and conflicts combined following this period in time.

Read more at the link.

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Rant

Wow, where does one begin? There is so much to say and so much to exlore, but I hardly feel it is quite apropriate to say too much.

Recently Someone asked about resources on the ACW or the War Between the States, to which I replied, perhaps the best introduction I can recommend is the massive three volume work by Selby Foote. It was written shortly before the centennial anniversary (circa 1958) but is possibly the best written and researched opus on the topic.

As for the cuses of that war, the best short synopsis I have found in the opening to a deserved;y obscure book called "Storm Over the Land" by the normally exceptional author, Carl Sandburg. While he was a well-known except on Lincoln, and wrote well on that topic, this attept at a general history of the conflict started well, but soon degenerates into another rehash of "the story of Abe, the War years."

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Renewing..................

4. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Speaking of Shelby Foote, today I met a man who had Shelby Foote as a professor. He needed to take an elective History course at the University of Georgia, and so opted him.

Cool.

5. Alexander

Alexander Member