tank mask

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by kevin1947, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kevin1947

kevin1947 New Member

002.JPG 003.JPG 001.JPG

though this is for sale i thought it might be of interest to members

2. joshtheboss

joshtheboss New Member

Wow where is that from??

3. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

British WWI tank crews were issued these masks, they were to protect the face from metal splinters coming from the inside face of the armour when hit by enemy fire. Even machine gun bullets which failed to penetrate the armour could cause splinters on the inside.

4. groundhugger

groundhugger Member

Snipers or marksmen would reverse the head of a bullet effectively making it a Hollow charge , they wouldn't penetrate the plate of a Tank but knock a chunks and splinters off the inside of the tanks compartment just as 'aghart' mentioned . a practice still carried out today on lightly armoured vehicles in Afghanistan .

5. aghart

The link shows the BBC programme called Soldiers, a history of men in battle. Episode 6 "Tank". It shows the tank mask in use. The programme was made in 1984 and aired on BBC1 in 1985. I was one of the soldiers who crewed the WWI tank at the tank Museum at Bovington.

tiny1916.jpg That's me

soldiers.jpg The whole crew

6. aghart

Watch the whole link, the last minute shows splinters coming off the inside armour and the mask protecting the gunner.

7. aghart

970671_10201131278258502_401259665_n.jpg

trick or Treat?

8. Alexander

Alexander Member

9. Alexander

Alexander Member

10. Alexander

Alexander Member