Sylvester Long Lance

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by liverpool annie, Mar 20, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Does anybody know anything about Sylvester Long Lance ? I'd appreciate any information please ! :)

The case of Sylvester Long Lance is particularly interesting. This former Carlisle student, born "in the midst of the stifling racial prejudice of the Old South" pretended he was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and later in his life that he was a Blackfoot born in Montana. His whole life was one of lies and impostures, yet he actually had participated in the Great War. It is difficult to know why he chose to volunteer for the Canadian Army probably to fight for a great world cause as it was praised in the newspaper of his alma mater, St. John's. On August 4, 1916, Long Lance enlisted in Montreal, lying about his date of birth and claiming a West Point military experience. He was first assigned to the 237th Battalion of the American Legion, then transferred to the 97th Battalion and arrived in England on September 25, 1916. After having hurt his knee in training, he was transferred in October to the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Depot, near Brighton. It was from here that he sent a Christmas card to Carlisle -

I've just come out of the trenches
    Where we made the Germans dance,
    And I'm sending this Greeting to let you know
    That he is still alive, Yours Truly, Lieut. Long-Lance

Alive and fit as fit can be,
    Though fighting's not all sport,
    And manners "made in Germany"
    Aren't quite what you and I were taught.

Of course, Long Lance was not a Lieutenant but a Sergeant, and of course he knew of the French trenches only what he could have read in the newspapers. But then, who would have known this in Carlisle? His letter was quickly sent to newspapers and the New York Sun, on February 12, 1917, read: "Lieut. Long Lance of Carlisle Surprises Teacher with Note from Trenches."

Long Lance did eventually see actual combat in France, at the famous battle fought and won by the Canadian forces at Vimy Ridge, in April 1917. He was wounded a month later, and then again in June, which put an end to his war service.

2. liverpool annie

I really would like to find out about his service record if possible ...... !

Sylvester Long Lance was one of my Buffalo Bill Indians ... who went to the Carlise School .... he was quite a character there ... I have a copy of a letter he wrote to the Superintentant !!

but oh my goodness ..... check this out ...... !! I have to get this book !

http://www.umanitoba.ca/cm/vol6/no15/chief.html

And now I find this ........

3. liverpool annie