Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by NormieB, Dec 17, 2011.

1. NormieB

NormieB New Member

I know this is going to be a long shot......but it's worth a try.......I'm looking for any information on the unit or units stationed on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during WWII. I have looked in all the usual places but cannot find any real information about who served there and what equipment they had, although I know they had at least one Bofors gun on the South East Pylon. I would also love to hear from anyone who may have photos of the gun deck.

An even longer shot would be to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of the rumour that the Sydney Harbour Bridge itself was mined as a precaution should Australia be taken by enemy forces. My understanding is that Dr Bradfield, who designed the bridge, actually advised on the best location for the charges to create maximum damage.

I am researching the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the second world war and am desperately running out of options as to where this sort of information may be had. Unfortunately the Australian government, and associated agencies, have little to offer as it seems to have been of little interest, given the bigger picture, however I would like to believe that the defence of such a national icon was a serious matter and that records were kept.......somewhere.

In the hope that someone may know something, or can point me in the right direction, I should like to thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

NormieB

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi NormieB,

Welcome to the forum. Were there any territorial units in the Sydney area of the bridge at the time you are requesting the imformation about. It maybe a route to go down. Checking the territorial units war diaries may bring you some success. If its the same there as it is here in the UK it would be down to these units to defend important places as this. Each unit would be expected to keep a war diary along with muster rolls etc.
    Hope this helps
    Sniper

3. NormieB

NormieB New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. The information I have, which is scant indeed, suggests a number of different units served on the pylons, however, these seem to be contradictory, and so far I cannot find any mention of them serving on the pylons in their respective diaries. I have tried all manner of enquiries to all manner of official bodies, and yet very little of any use has come to light, including photos, which I'm sure there would have been, given the view they had.

I shall keep plugging away in the hope that someone, somewhere, may know something....which I'm sure they do.

Again thanks for the suggestion and I shall explore all avenues and all suggestions.

NormieB

4. NormieB

NormieB New Member

There appears to be quite a few people viewing this thread but sadly no futher replies........I know I was probably hoping against hope that someone might have some information, but sadly it seems that I was right. Always worth a try I suppose.....?

5. alieneyes

alieneyes New Member

Gave up far too easily, Normie.

Search & Retrieve - Session timed out

[Defence Schemes - Australia:] Sydney Harbour Bridge - Strength of and duties of Guard. Diagram of Harbour Bridge showing sentry posts and anti-aircraft gun emplacements (Aug 1942)

Search & Retrieve - Session timed out

Sydney Harbour Bridge - Platforms for AA Battery

There are 56 items like this between 1941-1944 on the National Archives of Australia's website.

Happy hunting.

6. NormieB

NormieB New Member

Thanks for the information, and as for giving up, well not quite, but it is getting very frustrating to say the least.......!

I've tried following your links but because they're timed out I can't, and to be honest I think you need some sort of degree or other to understand all the links on the National Archives web site anyway. But I am heartened to hear that there is stuff there, all I need do is perhaps ask them to find it for me.........?

I am very grateful for all your help and would like to take the opportunity to wish you a very happy 2012

Thanks again
    Normie

7. alieneyes

alieneyes New Member

It can be a bit daunting at first but once you "wander" around their site it's pretty straightforward. If you go here:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/ click on "search as a guest". A new window will open. Type in "Sydney Harbour Bridge" and the dates "1941 to 1944", it will take you to a new page with your results. In column 2 of the page you will see something called "Control Symbol" for each result. Click on that for the results which pertain to your interest. A new page will open up. On the far right you will see "Request copy". If you click on that and follow the instructions you can have them digitalize the files you want. They will then put them online and you can view them when you like.

All the best for the new year.

8. NormieB

NormieB New Member

Unfortunately not much new information to date...........hence yet another general request to all and everyone......does anyone have any information on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the war.......?