Switzerland in the First World War: new website

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by AndrewW, Dec 14, 2012.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

I have set up a website on Switzerland's part in the First World War (a subject that is often forgotten, Switzerland being neutral of course).

www.switzerland1914-1918.net

It covers not just what it was like being a neutral country, but also the Swiss army, the International Committee of the Red Cross (which collated information about prisoners of war, and inspected PoW camps in belligerent countries) and prisoners of war interned in Switzerland. I have taken the approach of simplicity and clarity rather than going into huge detail at this stage, but I intend that the site will evolve over time and it will provide a focal point for the subject. Also there is a blog which will feature a closer look at specific photographs, objects or information (which could include things provided by other people, as well as material from my own collection).

Any comments would be appreciated. Feel free to link to it from other websites, or to suggest relevant links. Thanks

Andrew

2. seotut

seotut Guest

That's an interesting site, however since Switzerland was neutral, there really isn't a lot to talk about, so it's a very small niche (unless maybe you are a Swiss, and have a connection with those events).

Good luck with your site, anyway.

3. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

I originally thought that too. However I now believe that even though the country was neutral, there were many ways in which Switzerland was closely connected to, and affected by, wartime events. For example:
    -- The work of the International Red Cross in Geneva in tracing several million prisoners of war from both sides, plus inspecting PoW camps.
    -- Nearly 68,000 former prisoners of war from both sides were interned in Switzerland.
    -- Trade with both sides (important for both the Swiss and the warring countries).
    -- Involvement in international politics, e.g. in trying to stay neutral whilst also maintaining a suitable relationship with neighbouring countries.
    -- At the start of the war, many Swiss had sympathies for either France or Germany (split along language lines), so individual Swiss did not necessarily feel separate from the war.
    -- Switzerland provided a home for a number of exiles (and even spies). The journey to Russia by Lenin and other Bolsheviks, which ended with the Bolshevik Revolution, began in Switzerland - and that certainly had a worldwide impact!

Sorry, don't mean to go on, but you get the idea :) Thanks for your good wishes.

4. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Interesting topic, and I agree it is a subject which is often overlooked. I really enjoyed the page about POWs being interned in Switzerland.

I think part of the reason for the Swiss being able to maintain their neutrality is because of their long history of repelling invasions, along with the mountainous terrain. Another reason is that both warring sides benefit by having some means of communicating with each other unofficially, and having embassies in a neutral country allows them to do so.

5. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

Thank you. You're definitely right - even when countries are at war, they have to be able to communicate, even if via a neutral party, whether it is about relatively 'minor' issues (minor for the countries involved, but not for the individuals caught up in the war!)... or even about major diplomatic issues.