Suez Maru Atrocity

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War' started by heatherannej, Aug 15, 2009.

1. heatherannej

heatherannej New Member

I grew up knowing that one of my uncles (William Forbes Petrie Brodie) was killed when the ship he was being transported in (as a POW) was torpedoed by an American Submarine - the ship not being marked with an International Red Cross Flag.

It was not until I undertook further research (5 years ago) that I learnt that he had gone done with the Suez Maru (detailed on his death certificate). I innocently googled 'Suez Maru' and discovered the real truth of the matter.
    I have Allan Jones' book and have searched on the internet - trying to discover as much as I can!

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to discover my uncle's POW record - I have a little RAF Service history but that's only 2 pages and doesn't give me any insight into POW history.
    I've heard that POW's were assigned capital letters A, B or C etc indicating their camp of origin - would this be contained in any POW records?

Any help would be so appreciated - as you might imagine!!

Heather

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome to the forum Heather.

Hopefully our POW expert will see your post and be able to assist you with some information.

Cheers

Geoff

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

I see you have a little about him on this site.

Kranji War Cemetery, Singapore

Please feel free to post it here if you wish.

A very good looking young lad.

RIP