Street Map Cairo

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by BSM, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BSM

BSM New Member

To continue with some research I am looking for a scan or copy of a good street map of Cairo in Egypt for any of the years from 1910 to 1920. Any constructive suggestions from fellow members would be appreciated. The focus is the AIF Central Garage at Gamrah. Ambulances from this garage handled most of the wounded that were transported to Egypt from Gallipoli in 1915. Regards Rod

2. Kbak

Kbak Member

3. BSM

BSM New Member

Thanks much for the suggestion and yes I am aware of same. The site doesn't have the detail I am looking for. I would imagine that most of the British WW2 maps of the area were based on earlier editio0ns so that may be a better target for my attentions. Thanks again....Rod

4. Kbak

Kbak Member

5. BSM

BSM New Member

Kbak thanks again for the input. I actually have copies of the Routine Orders for the garage and therefore a good deal of intel re the A.M.T.S. I should have expanded on my initial post. I am doing manageable print runs of say 100 books (The Benzine Lancers). First run is almost gone and I am prepping for the second. Doing it this way also allows me to make changes or corrections etc. if necessary. In the front section there is a page I am thinking of changing and the options are to add another vehicle pic OR an image of the map in question seeing that the formation of the AMTS at Gamrah is a significant event is the history of Military MT. The old story, it is not absolutely necessary but worth investigating. Just had a thought. Need to check my files as I think the security detail at the garage were British troops so that may be an avenue. Bit like a treasure hunt. Appreciate the input.....Rod

6. BSM

BSM New Member

Stop press! The requirement has been satisfied. A member of another forum has kindly sent me copies of a 1933 map which has everything that I need. Regards Rod