Sqd Ldr Charles Patterson RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Sqd Ldr Charles Patterson - Telegraph

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Takes all types and kinds and he was seemingly magnificent at what he did best.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The obit fails to mention that he finished his European stint with 487 Squadron (during which time he was awarded his DSO), and though he flew Mosquito DZ414 (O), it wasn't his exclusive aircraft and was used by other pilots in the RAF Photographic Unit.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A sad day when the world loses a man like that. These guys continue to inspire. RIP.

Kyt, is there any mention of him in the Tintacks book?

So many heroes...

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nothing in Tintacks, though there should be in the two 105 Sq histories (haven't got either yet).

6. Antipodean Andy

Hmm, but I have! :becky: Read the attack on the Zeiss factory but missed the quick mention of 105...sigh. Should be something in the second book, Mosquito Thunder. Hang on a tick...mentioned on 23 pages!

Here goes a long post, hope this is okay:

Page 26:
    S/L Charles Patterson DSO, DFC, made the following comment regarding the FW 190's performance at high level: 'The correct deduction was that it depended on the rating of the Merline engines. If the engines were rated to give maximum performance at high level, the Mosquite could just outdistance the FW 190. And if it was fitted with engines rated for low level, it could also just outdistance the FW 190. Until this time, the only engines fitted were, if I remember rightly, the Merlin 21s and they fell somewhere in the middle range. That meant that although they were just fast enough at low level, they certainly weren't at high level. Later on they fitted different engines so that the MkIX was able to do PRU and Met. reconnaissance at high level without a higher than acceptable risk. In fact, even with the Merlin 21 engines, the Mosquito at high level was still very fast. It was as fast as a Spitfire with comparable engines, and therefore FW 190 interceptions were by no means inevitable, but if they did take place, you were pretty well for it!'

Page 42 detailing a second attack on the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Hoogovens & Staalfabrieken NV (Royal Dutch Blast-Furnace and Steel-Mill Limited), Ijmuiden, Netherlands...stuff it, I'll scan these pages as there's a pic of Patterson...note the reference to how Patterson joined 105 - a chance meeting with Hughie Edwards, the legendary Aussie pilot who won a VC with 105 when when on Blenheims - first two scans.

Pages 51-53 detailing a met op shortly after the attack on the Gestapo HQ in Oslo to coincide with Quisling's arrival - next three scans.

Page 60 regarding a dusk raid on Hannover on Oct 11 1942:
    Lastly, at 16.49 hours, F/L Charles Patterson with his observer Sgt J.W. Egan in DK338:O led P/O Jimmy Bruce with P/O Mike Carreck in DZ320:Y

7. Antipodean Andy

Pages 73-77 speak for themselves and our hero features prominently. This book is excellent. Author Stuart R Scott has done an excellent job.

8. Antipodean Andy

Pages 83-86 see us in January '43.

9. Antipodean Andy

This next lot of pages is April '43. Note the Mossie at top left in the photo on the second scan!

10. Antipodean Andy

These scans continue from the post above.

11. Antipodean Andy

The following two posts refer to the May '43 raid on the Zeiss factory.

12. Antipodean Andy

These scans continue from those directly above.

These are the final posts re S/L Charles Patterson and the last page scanned includes another photo of him.

Mosquito Thunder was written by Stuart R Scott and published by Sutton Publishing. Naturally, as I've been reading what I've scanned and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. If you manage to get hold of this book it will be an enjoyable read but will be further enhanced by Scott's Battle-Axe Blenheims No 105 Squadron RAF At War 1940-1, the "prequel" to Mosquito Thunder.

Amazon.co.uk: Battle-axe Blenheims: No.105 Squadron RAF at War, 1940-41 (Aviation): Stuart R. Scott: Books
    Amazon.co.uk: Mosquito Thunder: No.105 Squadron RAF at War, 1942-45: Air Marshal Sir Ivor Broom,Stuart R. Scott: Books

13. Antipodean Andy

Going through the names included in the above posts again, I really should try to find the time to do a bibliography (so to speak) of aircrew mentioned in my books. Golly, I can feel my eyes going crossed already. Just another thing for the list.