Spitfires buried in Burma

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by pilot2fly, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Member

Last year, an English farmer set out on a quest to find what were supposedly buried Spitfire Mark IX's buried at an old WWII airfield in Burma. They were found. In fact, up to 120 of them may still be there. You want to know what the best part is? They are all still in their shipping crates in pristine condition. Some parts may have had a little deterioration, but they're in almost new condition. They had never been used. The planes were buried because the British were afraid of invaders and figured they'd bury them to keep them safe and come back to them at a later time. It took over 70 years to come back.

2. Dalek

Dalek New Member

3. SabraO

SabraO New Member

I read about this yesterday. I'm very curious to see what will be done with them. Of course the technology is obsolete, but the conditions in which they were buried I am certain kept them in near-flyable condition. Will they be used for air shows, perhaps?

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Siberian Tiger

Hmm... I am not sure whether the invading Japanese had enough manpower and technological expertise to make use of those planes.