Slipped Through the Grip.

Discussion in 'Your Collectibles' started by Nostalgair, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

G'day again.

The 'Significant Memorabilia' thread got me thinking. In contrast, is there anything that slipped on by and was possibly an opportunity missed?

For my part, when my Dad was in his final weeks he was sorting things out so Mum didn't have to clean up after he was gone. Some treasured items 'disappeared' to the rubbish tip in these times.

One I particularly recall was a navy blue flying suit. It was one of the first synthetic ones made; nylon or similar I recall. As a little fella, Dad would roll up the legs and sleeves (...only a bit as he was only 5'5" ) and I would run around the house playing with the sea of zippers. It was US issue with the insignia on the shoulder. It was in mint condition and I recall him saying that he only wore it on a few ops in Korea as he tended to sweat too much in it. I treasured this flying suit. Unfortunately it, along with early generation 'bone domes' etc was thrown out.

To finish on a positive note, I remember him tossing a large envelope in the bin about the same time. I asked him what was inside and he said it contained some old 'spare' photos. I nabbed it and it was filled with about 60 black and white and early colour images from across his time in the RAAF. From training at Point Cook, to Korea, to air-to-air shots.

At least these were saved, but I still lament the loss of that flying suit and its special place in my childhood.

Is there anything that's slipped by you?

Cheers

Owen

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Nothing springs to mind at present (blanked it out no doubt!) but something will come to me!

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

I remember dad saying he sent some "trinkets" home for mum (my brothers and I weren't born). He was "blown up" taking Tobruk January 21st 1941. None of his uniform remained. It was either blown off or cut off at the hospital.

Mum's "trinkets" never did arrive.

I have a couple of photos of him in El Kantara hospital in Egypt, his military records and his medals. He was shipped back to Australia on a hospital ship as soon as he could travel and spent quite a time in Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital.

Him being alive possibly constituted the greatest memory.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

My grandfather had a very nasty habit of taking everything outside and putting it on a bonfire. his medals, anything WW2 related, everything that belonged to my grandmother and all other family photos documents were lost.
    Sod.

5. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Great post Spidge.

I treasure Dad's goggles, but I should probably be more appreciative that he made it back with his head in one piece.

Cheers

Owen