Sir John Rix RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Another interesting life of one in the background.

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

To this sites credit, it has already shown that the people who backed up those in the front lines are given the space on here that they surely deserve. Good on ya!

Regards
    Hugh

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Haven't looked into surviving MTBs too much, if at all, so it's pleasing to see one in such great condition.

Thornycroft is better known to me as a truck builder. Not a man to be stopped by the looks of it.

Love this bit:

On one occasion he was on board an MTB of the Felixstowe and Yarmouth Squadron, part of the RNVR, when it was ordered at short notice to intercept some German E-boats which were on a raiding mission. Much to his delight, Rix spent the night at sea with his RNVR colleagues, successfully protecting a convoy of merchant ships from the enemy.

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Andy
    Trucks were a sideline of theirs. They have been building Torpedo boats since the 1880s. (But I know trucks are a speciality of yours!)

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Speciality/obsession - yeah. Heck of a side line!

I had an order for a book about an MTB and her crew, forget the title now, but the seller hasn't delievered it yet. They were contacting the publishers to hunt it down but I haven't been charged yet (five months now) so I suspect they haven't found it!