Sgt Thomas Mottershead Royal Flying Corps

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

The History of XX(R) Squadron -

Formed at Netheravon on 1 September 1915 from No. 7 Reserve Squadron, the unit deployed to France in January 1916 with FE2Bs in the fighter-reconnaissance role. The Squadron devised the 'flying circle' where patrolling pilots flew a continuous orbit in formation while their gunners fires outwards, covering each other.

A year later, Sergeant T Mottershead was posthumously awarded the VC for saving the life of his observer, Lt WE Gower after their stricken aircraft had crash-landed and caught fire. Lt Gower managed to escape the burning wreck and with assistance dragged his pilot from the wreckage. However, Sgt Mottershead died four days later from his burns, and he became the only RFC NCO to be awarded the Victoria Cross during World War I.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/20squadron.cfm

Sgt Thomas Mottershead VC.& DCM.
    No.1396
    20 Squadron
    Royal Flying Corps
    Born - Widnes, Lancashire.
    Enlisted - Widnes in August, 1914.
    Resided - 12 Market Street, Widnes.
    Died of wounds in France on 12th January 1917 aged 25.
    Buried at Ballieul Cemetery Extension Plot III, Row A, Grave 126. Commemorated at St Paul`s church in Widnes.

Victoria Cross London Gazette 12.2.1917 Sergeant Thomas Mottershead
    20 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps

Date of Act of Bravery, 7.1.1917. Attack over Ploegsteert Wood, Western Front.

For the most conspicuous bravery, endurance and skill when, attacked at an altitude of 9,000 feet, the petrol tank was pierced and the machine set on fire. Enveloped in flames, which his observer, Lt. Gower was unable to subdue, this very gallant soldier succeeded in bringing his aeroplane back to our lines, and though he made a successful landing, the machine collapsed on touching the ground, pinning him beneath wreckage from which he was subsequently rescued.
    Through suffering extreme torture from burns, Sjt. Mottershead showed the most conspicuous presence of mind in the careful selection of a landing place, and his wonderful endurance and fortitude undoubtedly saved the life of his observer. He has since succumbed to his injuries.

# WWN 1916 & 17 and various sources

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

My friend J found this information ......

3. liverpool annie

Here's Thomas' inscription on the Widnes War Memorial .....

Attached Files:

4. liverpool annie

Grave in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension of No. 1396 Sergeant Thomas Mottershead 20th Squadron Royal Flying Corps V.C., D.C.M. who died of wounds on the 12th January 1917. Son of Thomas and Lucy Mottershead of Widnes and husband of Lilian Medlicott Mottershead of 31 Lilac Avenue Widnes Lancashire.

Heastone bears inscription “Not once or twice In our rough island story Was the path of duty The way to glory.”

The citation in the London Gazette for the Distinguished Conduct Medal records; “For conspicuous gallantry when on a bombing raid. He dived down to 1,500 feet, blew up one ammunition train with bombs, and attacked another with machine gun fire. On rising he was attacked by a “Fokker” from behind, but by skilful and daring manoeuvring he enabled his observer to destroy it by fire.”

An extract from the London Gazette dated 9th February 1917 for the Victoria Cross records “For most conspicuous bravery, endurance and skill, when attacked at an altitude of 9,000 feet; the petrol tank was pierced and the machine set on fire. Enveloped in flames, which his Observer Lt. Gower was unable to subdue, this very gallant soldier succeeded in bringing his aeroplane back to our lines and though he made a successful landing, the machine collapsed on touching the ground, pinning him beneath the wreckage from which he was subsequently rescued. Though suffering extreme torture from burns Sergeant Mottershead showed the most conspicuous presence of mind in the careful selection of a landing place, and his wonderful endurance and fortitude undoubtedly saved the life of his Observer. He has since succumbed to his injuries.”

Attached Files:

5. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

I recommend Alex Revell's excellent Victoria Cross: World War I Airmen and Their Aircraft, ISBN 1 891268 00 7, which is an account of all 19 Great War air VCs, and the aeroplanes flown by the recipients.

Gareth

6. liverpool annie

Sgt Mottershead originally enlisted as an air mechanic in August 1914.

He began flying training in May 1916, gaining his Second Class Certificate a month later and his First Class Certificate on 9 June. In July he was sent to France to fly FE2bs with, first, No 25 and then with No 20 Sqn. He was eventually shot down on 7 January 1917 in an action that earned him a VC, the only one gained by a non-commissioned aviator in WW I.

Sadly the award was announced posthumously. The ribbon worn in the photograph is that of a DCM gazetted on 14 November 1916 this was awarded posthumously to his widow.

Attached Files:

7. bluesapper

bluesapper New Member

hi annie bluesapper here we visited his resting place 2 weeks ago i have a photo of his headstone i can email it to you my email is bluesapper@msn.com
    DAVID GOURLEY

8. liverpool annie

David sent me this lovely photo of Thomas' headstone !

Thanks David ... I appreciate it very much !

Annie :)

PS .... you can delete your email now !! ;)

Attached Files: