Sgt Edward Charles Kent of the 18th Battalion Middlesex Regiment?

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by Mark kent, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mark kent

Mark kent New Member

I have been researching my Great great Uncle on and off for about a year now.

He was sgt Edward C Kent ( Born 1880/81) of the 18th Battalion Middlesex Regiment ( Duke of Cambridges own)

He died of wounds on the 24th march 1918 and was taken tot he 44th Casualty Clearing Station.
    He is buried at Nine Elms Cemetary , Poperinge, Ypres.

I know quite a bit about him and his military details but was wondering if anyone can find any other information on him?

Records I already have include all of the Cenusus records up to 1911, 1918 national Probate Calender, Medal roll index card, and Medal Roll itself ( From the National Archives) . I also went to the National archives to read the 18th battalions War diary but had very little time to read through it all.

Unfortuantely, I have not been able to locate his service records so I fear they were destroyed by the WW2 bombings..

I know the battalion was a Pioneers regiment which focused on all sorts of hard engineering work.
    (surprising as my Uncle was from a very wealthy family)

According to this site that was sent to me by another memeber http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search1421.php, my Uncle was the only one from the Middlesex Regiment to be killed between the 23rd -25th march 1918. This seemed very odd as the German army started the spring offensive.

It gives me the impression that Edward could of been VERY unlucky, maybe being hit from a stray shell or setting off a grenade while constructing...

What I don't really know if when he left or France? He did not recieve the 1914-15 Star so he must of left after 1916. Did he join up freely or was he conscripted I do not know.

Any help would be appreciated

John likes this.
  2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Mark,
    Here are some details about the Battalion you are looking for.

Formed in London on 19 January 1915 by Lt-Col. John Ward MP. Moved to Alexandra Palace, going on in May 1915 to Rayleigh.
    July 1915 : moved to Clipstone Camp and attached to 33rd Division as Pioneer Battalion. Moved in August to Salisbury Plain.
    15 November 1915 : landed at Le Havre.

To receive the 14/15 star he would of had to of been under fire before the end of 1915 which it looks like he would of still of been in training at this stage. It may have been that at this time he would of been constructing camps or transport routes. It looks like the 33ed Div didn't go into action until 1916 during the battle of Albert.
    Hope this helps
    Mike

3. Dave leyland

Dave leyland New Member

Hi Mark,
    Just seen Your enquiry of the 18th Middlesex. My Great Grandfather was also in this regiment. They were involved in the action on the Somme and were there until the end in November 1916. Here are a few clips I have found:

Bazentin Ridge and Trônes Wood

The 18th Middlesex (Pioneers) of the 33rd Division had also arrived at Méaulte on 14th, and billeted for the night north-west of the village

With other units of the Brigade, the 1st Middlesex had arrived at Méaulte on the night of 13th July, but at 11a.m. on 14th the Battalion moved to Bécordel and bivouacked for some two or three hours. The 33rd Division had been ordered to attack between High Wood and the railway, and later the 1st Battalion moved forward and, after various halts and stops, reached the southern edge of Mametz Wood, finally bivouacking on the western lip of the valley just north of Fricourt. Orders to the 98th Brigade to attack Switch Trench had been cancelled.

The Battle opened very early in the morning of the 14th (3.25 a.m.); indeed, there was only just sufficient light in which to distinguish friend from foe at short ranges. Just before Zero hour, the Divisions, from right to left, as they stood in line ready to go forward to the attack were: 18th at the Briqueterie and west of Trônes Wood, the 9th north of Montauban, 3rd north of Caterpillar Wood, 7th between the latter wood and Mametz Wood, 21st on the north-west edge of Mametz Wood, 1st northeast of Contalmaison, and the 34th north-west of the latter village: the 33rd Division (98th Brigade) lay between Mametz village and Mametz Wood. Three Battalions of the Regiment, i.e., 1st, 12th and 18th, were therefore engaged in the Battle.
    Hope this of some use.
    Dave

4. Mark kent

Mark kent New Member

Dave, thank you very much for that information very helpful indeed. Were the 18th involved on the first day of the Somme do you know or from 14th July onwards?

I don't know about you but I have found researching the 18th Middlesex to be rather difficult. There seems to be hardly any photographs and very little information about them.
    Last year I went to the National Archives to view the battalions war diary but it is so vast it would take a week to properly examine it. I hoping to go and view it again very soon.

Do you know which company your Great Grandfather was in?

Mark

5. Alexander

Alexander Member

6. Michelle Martinez

Michelle Martinez New Member

To mark the 100th Anniversary of the 18th Middlesex Regt arrival in France on 15th November 1915, I have created a Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Middx18 My aim is to post the War Diary entry on a daily basis from now until November 1919 when the Battalion finally left France. During this time I want to connect with as many ancestors of the men as possible and invite them to post Photographs, memories and information about their relatives. I would love you to take a look and possibly contribute.