Seems a good place to start!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by oowebb, Apr 16, 2009.

1. oowebb

oowebb New Member

Hello everyone, I'm Nick and just joined the forum today. I live in central london and work just down the road from the IWM.

Interested across the board in WW2 research on the military side of things,plus my wife is a history teacher so she is interested too!

Happy to help out with an queries if I can and I am here to learn alot too.

Look forward to some forum action!

Nick.

2. Gage

Gage New Member

Welcome Nick (and wife) and hello. Have fun, enjoy.

3. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Greetings, glad to have you aboard.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

G'day Nick, hope you enjoy it here.

5. John

John Active Member

Welcome Nick. Hope you have many hours enjoying this site.
    :plane:

6. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

Welcome to the forums Nick.

7. 51highland

51highland Member

Welcome and enjoy !!!

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Watcha nick

9. oowebb

oowebb New Member

Cheers for the welcome guys!
    I will try to add lots of interesting bits to the forum from my own collections as time goes by. I have an interest in the PR Squadrons of the RAF, Royal Artillery, Hampshire Regiment, Royal Engineers and The Gold Coast Battalion RWAFF.

Nick.

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome Nick,

Hope you enjoy your time here.

11. phelpsmn

phelpsmn New Member

Where would I begin!

Hi Nick,
    I was wondering if you might know, I am trying to find out more information about my Grandad, he was in the RAF as a reconnaissance photographer in WW2. I am still waiting for family members to send me more info.
    Would there be such a thing as a list of all airmen in the RAF from WW2?
    I will take take what I can get, thanks, Martin

12. Antipodean Andy

There is, Martin, but you can also start a thread on this forum with your Grandad's name as the title. Give us as much info as you can and we should be able to provide some detail.

13. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Welcome Nick.
    GW

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Martin, I'm afraid Andy is only partially correct :) If you had been looking for a RAAF airman then, yes, there is a comprehensive list. However, there no corresponding list for RAF personnel in the public domain. There are lists for those killed (CWGC), those made POW (a couple of resorces available if you need them), lists of officers (by searching the London Gazette), and those awarded bravery medals (the LG and a few books). However, beyond those in the above lists will not appear anywhere unless they are mentioned in Squadron ORBs, published histories/memoirs, and/or websites dedicated to an airman or squadron

15. Antipodean Andy

LOL, apologies Martin, Kyt's right. I've had my head buried in RAAF stuff lately so am slightly one-eyed at present. Didn't read your post properly.

Still feel free to post about your Grandfather here. You never know what we can turn up.

16. oowebb

oowebb New Member

The RAF List will show all serving officers during the war years. Assuming he was an officer he will be there. Do you know what squadron he served with? The Squadron ORBs are available at the National Archives and he might well be mentioned. I suggest you start a new thread about him and we can expand from there!

Nick.