Second World War film quiz

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by David Layne, Jan 8, 2009.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

1) In which 1967 film are some reprieved Death Row prisoners trained as a crack fighting unit and sent on a suicide mission into occupied France?

2) In which 1942 film, set in North Africa, do French patriots sing Le Marseillaise in an American bar to drown out a German marching song?

3) In which 1997 comedy film does an Italian father in a concentration camp persuade his son that the ghastly events around him are part of a game?

4) Which patriotic 1949 John Wayne movie follows the training of US recruits to capture a strategic Pacific island?

5) In which 1961 film does a commando team scale a Turkish cliff to sabotage two massive artillery pieces commanding the Aegean?

6) Which 1976 thriller, starring Michael Caine, concerns a plot to kill Churchill by flying German paratroopers, dressed as Poles, into Norfolk?

7) Which Oscar-winning 1998 movie begins with a gruelling 25-minute sequence of soldiers being mown down on Omaha Beach?

8) Which 1953 movie, set in Hawaii before Pearl Harbour, portrays a passionate affair between Sergeant Warden and the neglected wife of his superior, Captain Holmes?

9) Which 1946 Hollywood movie follows the progress of three soldiers returning from war – one of them played by a real-life amputee?

10) In which 1987 French film, directed by Louis Malle, does a schoolboy discover that his friend Jean has been concealing his Jewish identity?

11) Which Rogers & Hammerstein musical features actual battle footage of WW2?

12) In which Ernest Lubitsch comedy of 1942 are the Nazis in occupied Warsaw out-smarted by a Polish theatre troupe?

13) What’s the English title of the Oscar-nominated, 2004 German film about the last 12 days of Adolf Hitler in his bunker?

14) Which Billy Wilder film won William Holden an Oscar for playing a suspected collaborator in a concentration camp?

15) Which 1954 film, with a score by Eric Coates, featured an eccentric inventor and a famous raid by 617 Squadron?

16) Which much-televised 1963 movie features Donald Pleasance as “The Forger,” James Garner as “The Scrounger” and Steve McQueen as “The Cooler King”?

17) In which 1973 Italian movie did a former SS officer and one of his child concentration-camp inmates re-kindle their sexual relationship?

18) In which movie would you hear the bracing advice: “No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country”?

19) In which film does Hermann Goering ask a top-ranking Luftwaffe brass, “Tell me what you need” to be told, “Herr Reichmarschal, give me a squadron of Spitfires”?

20) In which 1970 film, based on a classic novel, does Orson Welles, as General Dreedle, face the problem of where to pin a medal on a naked man?

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

1. The Dirty Dozen

2. Casablanca

3. Life is Beautiful?

4. Sands of Iwo Jima

5. The Guns of Navarone

6. The Eagle has Landed

7. Saving Private Ryan

8 From Here to Eternity.

9. The Best Years of our Lives

10. Au Revoir - Les Enfants

11. South Pacific

12. To Be or Not to Be

13. Downfall

14. Stalag 17

15. The Dambusters

16. The Great Escape

17. Night Porter

18. Patton

19. Battle of Britain

20. Catch 22

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I think I got about 13 or 14 there. I reckon you're right about number 3, Geoff.