Second Lieutenant Philip Emlyn Friend - Machine Gun Corps

Discussion in 'Military Biographies' started by liverpool annie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In Memory of
    Second Lieutenant PHILIP EMLYN FRIEND

Machine Gun Corps
    who died
    on 07 July 1916
    Son of Mr. and Mrs. Latton Friend; husband of Gertrude A. Francis (formerly Friend), of The White Cottage, Loughton, Essex.

Remembered with honour
    GORDON DUMP CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE

*Second Lieutenant, Machine Gun Corps. Killed in action 7th July 1916. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Latton Friend; husband of Gertrude A. Francis (formerly Friend), of The White Cottage, Loughton, Essex. Buried in GORDON DUMP CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE, Somme, France. Special memorial B. 17

Also remembered on the Loughton War memorial, Essex

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/Loughton.html

Extract from the Stock Exchange Memorial Book -

SECOND LIEUTENANT PHILIP EMLYN FRIEND, East Lancashire Regiment, was the only surviving son of the late W. Latton Friend, of Beckenham, and Mrs. Friend, of 6, Lexham Gardens.

Before the war he was with his uncle, Dale Womersley, on the Stock Exchange, having become a member in 1904.

He had always been a keen rider and on the outbreak of war enlisted in the 11th Hussars. Shortly after he was transferred to the Royal Scots Greys, with whom he trained at Dunbar. In April 1915 he was gazetted to the 3rd East Lancashire Regiment.

He went out in August to the 2nd Battalion, and served with them till January 1916, when he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. He was killed on 7 July 1916.

His Colonel wrote to his widow: “I put special value on his courage and constancy. During the heavy fighting last September, after a great part of the defensive works had been demolished by shell fire, he retained such power of command that his platoon manned what remained of the parapet with great gallantry and opened an effective flank fire which drove back every attempt to counter-attack from that quarter. He was always cheerful, and a great favourite."

A brother officer wrote: “I wish you to know that both the officers and men of this Machine Gun Company feel his loss beyond words. I always thought him a soldier and a gentleman. I never wish to have a finer man under me."

Attached Files: