Scottish War Memorials

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Roxy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Roxy

Roxy Member

For anyone interested in War Memorials in Scotland (or further afield with a Scottish connection) try this site or its sister site which deals with war graves in Scotland.

Roxy

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've popped over to those sites a couple of times, especially in relation to a mystery to which I still haven't received a satifactory response (from the Council, not the site):

Last year a memorial was unveiled for a pilot who crashed and was killed in Cowie.

Name: EVERISS, CARLYLE GRAY
    Initials: C G
    Nationality: New Zealand
    Regiment/Service: Royal New Zealand Air Force
    Date of Death: 02/10/1941
    Service No: 41318
    Additional information: Son of Frederick Everiss, and of Murielle Octavia Everiss (nee Gray), of Gisborne, Auckland, New Zealand; husband of Phyllis Elizabeth Everiss, of Te Kuiti, Auckland.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 1. Grave 19.
    Cemetery: GRANGEMOUTH (GRANDSABLE) CEMETERY

The original story appeared on the BBC site:

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Villagers salute WWII hero pilot

After a bit of digging I found:

58 OTU Roll

"Spifire 1a Aircraft on tail chase exercise and went out of control""

However, the mystery is whether his first name was Carlyle or Carlisle.

The Scottish War Memorials Project :: View topic - Cowie

[​IMG]

However NZPA Images - Cowie-Monument unveiled to WW2 NZ pilot Carlisle Everiss has it as Carlisle.

[​IMG]

His entry on the NZ Roll of Honour has Carlyle Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database

When I queried this discrepancy with the Council I was fobbed off with the comment that the committee had done their research and were sure they were correct. Hmm, not much of a response.

Have you, or any others on the boards had similar issues dealing with local authorities?

3. Roxy

Roxy Member

I have not had any dealings with any councils (yet) but have seen discrepancies between CWGC and other parties (including family headstones). Notably names that may be spelled a number of different ways -Mc or Mac; Stuart or Stewart; Isobel or Isabel etc.

The best that I can suggest is to try and find a birth certificate.

Roxy

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

The members on this site are very helpful.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

As regards the query about Everiss, I just received the following email:

Thank you, Ronald, for your information. Hopefully we will sort out your problems with registration so that you can join us.

I also hope the Council will be more receptive to your information than they were to me when I queried their mistake

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

A mining website has him as Carlyle also.

Cowie - Scottish Mining Website

Would it have any merit asking this chap through the guestbook to speak to the council?