Scholar's Bookshelf reprints

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Yanky, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Yanky

Yanky New Member

This company (http://www.scholarsbookshelf.com) has a lot of recent reprints of American Revolution military history books, most published in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

Some of the books come with separate oversized maps. In the original editions, I assume these maps were folded and attached to an inside cover. Pro: the map is handled much easier by the reader as a separate item. Con: Since the maps are separate items, mistakes can be made at the printer/distributor and the wrong map(s) can accompany a book. For example, I ordered Johnston's "Campaign of 1776 around New York and Brooklyn"; it was missing one of the maps listed in the book's contents, and in its place was one of the maps from Frothingham's "History of the Siege of Boston . . ." I've been lazy and haven't asked them to fix the problem yet, so I don't know how responsive they would be in fixing such an error.

Also, with some books the maps are on CDs. Some may not mind this, or even prefer it, but I would want printed maps, no matter what the size.

The books are somewhat expensive, in my opinion, but who else is reprinting them nowadays? It seems the last publishers to have such extensive reprint programs were Da Capo and Arno in the 1970s. Right?

2. The General

The General New Member

Yanky,

There's also a company called Higginson Books out of Salem, MA that does almost nothing but reprints of local history, genealogy, and some exceedingly rare Civil War regimental histories. They do really good work, and I can commend them to you.

Eric