S/L GWN Bassingthwaighte DFC

Discussion in 'Biographies' started by Antipodean Andy, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Just saw passing reference to this S/L. His nickname was/is "B16" owing to the number of letters in his name!

Love it! :clapping:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

George Wyndham Nelson BASSINGTHWAIGHTE to be exact. His parents must have been really bored when choosing names (or drunk!).

He received his DFC whilst with 113 Squadron and was with 27 Squadron when discharged.

His service file has been digitised. I'll have a read a bit later:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=5372290&I=1&SE=1

3. Antipodean Andy

Wow, Kyt. That's what I get for posting these in a hurry and not stopping to think to much (more for discussion really). After checking AWM for another post, I didn't go as far as NAA with him...or for B16! :frusty:

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

I was thinking what you said about the Australian Government websites this afternoon and they are most informative aren't they.

Particularly easy to navigate and kept up to date.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Just been flicking through his file. Prior to enlistment he was a Jackeroo and then a Grazier (would someone like to translate those?)

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Jackaroos (male workers) and jillaroos (female workers) are station employees who undertake a range of activities on cattle and sheep stations.

Jackaroos and jillaroos may perform the following tasks:

• care for livestock and treat minor injuries and illness
    • muster on horseback and/or motorbike
    • maintain station equipment and inspect, repair or replace fences, gates and yards
    • assist with light household duties
    • use and maintain vehicles and heavy machinery
    • undertake farming work such as cultivation and haymaking
    • undertake clerical and administrative tasks
    • participate in local meetings and take part in community affairs.
    Jackaroos and jillaroos spend most of their time working outdoors. In some states they receive free board and lodging, depending upon the number of people employed. They may live in shared accommodation on the property or occasionally in the house of the owner or manager.

[SIZE=-1]A Grazier is an Australian farmer who owns and lives on a large-sized rural property called a Sheep station or a Cattle station.[/SIZE]

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers Spidge.

Interesting that those jobs would probably have been seen as essential industries. In Britain farmers were exempt from military service. Do you know if this was the case in Austrlia?

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Expressed here:

Reserved occupations, Second World War

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Seems most of the regulations and controls occurred well after he enlisted in 1940. So he wouldn't have had any problems volunteering.

10. Antipodean Andy

What Spidgeman said on several posts!

My Pop was a farmer in Tasmania, well his Dad was and he was his offsider, so he couldn't enlist. At least that's what my Mum told me. Remembering Pop as I do, he would have wanted to go so I should find out more.