Royal Sussex Monte Cassino Feb 1944

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by stumpy6, Jun 27, 2009.

1. stumpy6

stumpy6 New Member

First of all this is my first post so id like to say hello.
    Now for my story
    My nan had a brother that all she would say about him was his name was "Bubbles" and that he died at Monte Cassino. Now up till my grandad died 3 weeks ago we didnt know any thing more. Till we found a old photo of her brothers grave. It in the Cassino War Cemetery.

Now all we know is that his name is Private Harry Victor Overton. (I have the same middle name). Service No: 14217066. Date of Death: 16/02/1944. Aged 19
    Now after a little reading that must have meant that he was part of the first attack the night after the bombing of the monestry?

Now my question is this. I have never tried to trace anyone before, how and where can i go to get any information, about him. Maybe his service records etc.

Again thanks for any pointers

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Stumpy

as a way of introduction you may find this of use:

The Tiger Triumphs. The Story of Three Great Divisions in Italy. 1946. Foreword. Table of Contents.

in particular the section on the night of his death

The Tiger Triumphs. The Story of Three Great Divisions in Italy. 1946.Chapters 4-5.

It would also be worth contacting the National Archives for a scan for the few pages of the Royal Sussex War Diary for the days upto the attack. I believe the reference is WO 170/1478

The National Archives

However, the war diaries do not usually contain individual casualty names.

It would also be worth contacting the The Redoubt Fortress & Military Museum - Eastbourne's Hidden Treasure incase they ahve a casualty list for the initial attack

And finally, his CWGC entry doesn't show any spouse so your grandparents were probably Next of Kin, and now probably your parents. They could apply for his service record too (making sure to ask for photocopies of the original file):

Service records - Army

3. Airborne

Airborne Member

Sussex by the Sea

4. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Private Harry Victor Overton - Service No: 14217066

I'm apparently doing something wrong on the CWGC site - I can't find this member. What am I doing to stop the details come up on the search?

I have tried the Overton surname with and without the initial H. I'm stumped.

"And finally, his CWGC entry doesn't show any spouse so your grandparents were probably Next of Kin, and now probably your parents. "

"Now all we know is that his name is Private Harry Victor Overton. (I have the same middle name). Service No: 14217066. Date of Death: 16/02/1944. Aged 19 - Cassino War Cemetery"

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Has him in the Cassino War Cemetery as OVENDON.

OVENDEN, HARRY VICTOR, H V Private 14217066Royal Sussex Regiment16/02/1944 19 XVIII. G. 21
    In Memory of
    Private HARRY VICTOR OVENDEN

14217066, 1st Bn., Royal Sussex Regiment
    who died age 19
    on 16 February 1944
    Son of Harry George and Florence Victoria Ovenden, of Aldershot, Hampshire.
    Remembered with honour
    CASSINO WAR CEMETERY

6. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Thank Gord for that - I was driving myself nuts looking for the record. How did you do it, is there some way of searching the CWGC by service number??

I assume that Stumpy mis-typed the surname onto this folder, instead of the CWGC having the wrong name for the guy.

Now I can't even remember what I was going to do next once I looked up the record for myself on the CWGC site.......

7. stumpy6

stumpy6 New Member

Im sorry i did spell his surname wrong it is Harry Victor Ovenden. I have tried to contact The Redoubt Fortress & Military Museum - Eastbourne's Hidden Treasure by sending them 3 emails but still waiting for replies. Are there any other avenues i can try. I can travel to Eastbourne as it is about 300 miles from where i live. Thanks