Royal Australian Regiment of Artillery "Honours".

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Cobber, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery "Honours".

Continuation of conversation
    re RA and RAA Honours etc."

Heyya Keith,
    I forgot to place, "Quo Fas Et gloria Ducunt"
    ("Whither right and Glory lead us") in the previous post.
    Any information on the history of the "Honours" and other RA history would be great, most especially WW2 information.

I found this mate, might be of interest re the RAA and "Honours".

http://australianartilleryassociation.com/history_colours-banners.htm

...... Their is a provision in the RAA standing orders for Batteries to be awarded "Honour Titles" (Not "Battle Honours") however to date only one has been awarded, and that was the Title, "Coral" (big Aussie battle in Viet Nam war at FOB Coral) awarded to 102nd Field Battery.
    The primary rule governing eligibility for these titles is "place names should be limited to occasions of historic interests, and even then only be awarded in outstanding cases". Honour titles are not to be placed onto the "Queens Banners".
    For more info on the RAA Kings/Queens Banner see above web address.

2. Cobber

Cobber New Member

ATM the RAA are manning Brit guns in Afghanistan. One Battery at a time 6 month rotation if my memory serves me right. RAA Gunners under command of a RAA LT or similar.
    This is Giving the men some real handy experience which includes some time in GB being trained on Brit 105's (RAA used a different 105mm Gun to the RA 105's) which is/was the size they used down here. The RAA has recently retired the 105's and is increasing the amount of larger guns, they are also currently using quite large Mortars. I am not sure if this Mortar thingy they are doing is temporary or permanent and if it will continue after they receive all their new guns.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,
    I have the History of the Royal Artillery by Duncan and the History of the Honourable Artillery, will check and see if I can find reference to the "Ubique" honour, and any other items which may be of interest.

Cheers
    Keith DCXXVII

4. Keith

Keith New Member

ww2001.jpg
    Hi Cobber,
    I'm not sure if this has been posted, but just in case.
    From Regimental Records by J. S. Farmer published 1910.

5. Keith

Keith New Member

RA001.jpg

Hi Cobber,
    On the same theme, from Regiments of the British Army by Richard Trimes, published 1876.

Cheers
    Keith DCXXXXII

6. Keith

Keith New Member

View attachment Royal Artillery Honours..txt

Hi Cobber,
    Further to the above, I have approached the ROYAL ARTILLERY Historical Society at the Regimental Museum.
    Will post any worthwhile outcome

Cheers
    Keith DCXLII

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Cheers Keith, that's very interesting. Have you anything on WW2? I remember reading about the Artillery Barrage at the Battle of El Alamein, it was apparently described by WW1 Veterans on both sides as being very much like a 'Drum Barrage" as used often in WW1. With the fluidness of the desert war the Artillery must of been quite mobile, supplying the Ammo to the Bty's/Guns would of been a intense job for those responsible for the supply of forward RA units.

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber
    I think I may have had one of the most comprerhensive military book collections on the forum, well over 300.
    However her indoors is putting her foot down and about 150 are in the garage ready for disposal.
    The reason I'm saying this is I believe the book on the North African campaign is amongst the ones in there.
    I'll check and come back to you.

Cheers
    Keith DCXLV

9. Keith

Keith New Member

RA003ww2.jpg

Hi Cobber,
    Reply from Regimental Museum, no precise date but a pretty picture !!

Cheers,
    Keith DCXLVI