Reginald Cheyne Berkeley MC Rifle Brigade, Special Reserve

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by liverpool annie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this soldier in a list of soldiers from Fiji in the Great War but I can't find anything else on him ... why was he in Fiji ... was he already in the Army ?? any information will be gratefully received !! :)

Berkeley, Reginald Cheyne Military Cross Rifle Brigade, Special Reserve

For conspicuous gallantry in action. When his company commander was wounded, he led the
    company with great dash to its final objective, and later displayed great determination in
    consolidating the captured line.
    London Gazette 14 November 1916

http://www.freewebs.com/fiji/medalsandawards.htm

I have found his son and a snippet about his memorial and thats about all !! :confused:

[SUB] LT Henry Robert Anthony Cheyne BERKELEY

This is not a separate memorial. His grandmother Mrs Bromley gave the display case for the Second World War Memorial Book in his memory. Sub Lt Berkeley's father, Captain Reginald Berkeley MC MP (OBM) had unveiled the First World War memorial.

Henry Robert Anthony Cheyne BERKELEY, Sub-Lieutenant, 0/6050, His Majesty's Motor Torpedo Boat (HMMTB) 417, Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve who died on Thursday, 16th March 1944. Age 21. Son of Reginald Cheyne Berkeley and Gwendoline Judith Louise Berkeley. Buried in Coxyde Military Cemetery, Koksijde, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Grave V. H. 1.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/BedfordModernSchoolMemorials.html

In Memory of
    Sub-Lieutenant HENRY ROBERT ANTHONY CHEYNE BERKELEY

0/6050, H.M.M.T.B. 417, Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve
    who died age 21
    on 16 March 1944
    Son of Reginald Cheyne Berkeley and Gwendoline Judith Louise Berkeley.

Remembered with honour
    COXYDE MILITARY CEMETERY

2. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Annie,
    Missed this one,
    BERKELEY, Reginald Cheyne.
    Born 1890. Educated Bedford Modern & New Zealand University. 2nd Lt 5th (R) Bn 10/10/15; Lieut. 1/1/17; Capt. 13/7/18; 1st RB & 11th RB, France 1915-17; Brigade-Major "Carey's Force 1918"; Member Secretariat League of Nations 1919-22. Married 1926 Mrs. Hildegarde Digby. MC (1916), BWM, VM, Despatches. MP (Lib) for Nottingham 1922-24. Author and Playwright; wrote Volume 1 of "History of The Rifle Brigade in the War of 1914-18" Died Los Angeles, California 30-4-35.

Military Cross:-
    For conspicuous gallantry in action. When his company commander was wounded, he led the company with great dash to its final objective and later displayed great determination in consolidating the captured line.

won with the 11th RB.

Andy

His entry in "Who Was Who" Voluime III, 1929-40

Attached Files:

3. liverpool annie

I came across this about Carey's Force .... thought it maybe of interest !

Carey's Force came into existence to plug the gap in the British defences east of Amiens. The following are extracts from the British Official History

4. liverpool annie

Thanks Andy ! ... I'm still wondering how he got to be on the list with the Fijians .... though I suppose as he was in New Zealand .... that probably has something to do with it !

He traveled quite a bit didn't he ? ... he died in Los Angeles !

5. liverpool annie

OK Andy ! ... Christine gave me the answer in an old post .... :) ... plus - he must have been married twice ....

6. liverpool annie

I hope you find a "smiggen" extra for your files too !! :):)