RAF Australians - Wing Commander Alan Francis Moir Sisley

Discussion in 'Biographies' started by spidge, Jan 30, 2010.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Wing Commander Alan Francis Moir Sisley- Flying Training Cmd HQ- RAF

Of the 250+ Australians I am researching who were killed in the RAF, this is the first one I have come across who is on the Australian Roll of Honour and listed as RAAF while also listed on the CWGC website as RAF United Kingdom.

I would welcome any further details or photos.

Royal Air Force pilot 550 Sqd. from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.)

(d.31st Aug 1944)

Quote:
    I am researching the Sisley family. It would appear that Alan Francis Moir Sisley was born in 1917 from the records I have managed to find. However I cannot trace a birth in the United Kingdom. Have you any record of where he was born? The CWGC records state he was of UK nationality. His wife was Josephine Mary Sisley, of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. I understand he is buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetery.

John Sisley
    Quote:

CWGC
    SISLEY , ALAN FRANCIS MOIR
    Wing Commander
    31/08/1944
    Royal Air Force
    United Kingdom
    Plot 8. Row B. Coll. grave 1-8.
    ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
    Quote:
    Australian Roll of Honour

Alan Francis Moir Sisley

Service number: 39008

Unit: 550 Squadron

Service: RAAF

Conflict: 1939-1945

Date of death: 31 August 1944

Place of death: France

Source: AWM148 Roll of Honour cards, 1939-1945 War, Air Force
    Quote:

Loss details for the above........

31 August 1944

550 Squadron
    Lancaster I MF962 BQ-V
    Op. Agenville

W/C. A F M. Sisley +
    P/O. P C. Siddall RNZAF +
    Sgt. R. MacLeod +
    Sgt. H H M. Connolly +
    F/S. H G. Thomas +
    F/S. A S. Parsons RAAF +
    Sgt. D P. Gates +
    Sgt. T. Hamilton +

Took off 1307 hrs North Killingholm to bomb a V-2 rocket store. Crashed at I'Etoile (Pas-de-Calais) on the north side of the Somme, 12km NW of Picquigny. All were buried at I'Etoile, since when their bodies have been taken to Abbeville and laid to rest in the communal cemetery extension. Their skipper, W/C. Sisley, was an Australian from Sydney who had joined the air force in the mid-1930s.

BCL Vol.5 - W R. Chorley.

NAA of Australia

SISLEY, Alan Francis Moir - (Wing Commander); Service Number - 39008; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Lancaster NF962 'V'; Place - France; Date - 31 August 1944
    W/C A.F.M. Sisley +; P/O P./C. Siddall, RNZAF +; Sgt. R. MacLeod +; Sgt. H.H.M. Connolly +;
    F/Sgt. H.G. Thomas +; F/sgt. A.S. Parsons, RAAF +; Sgt. D.P. Gates +; Sgt. T. Hamilton +

2. Judy Russell

Judy Russell New Member

I have a little information about Alan Sisley, whose wife was my godmother. They shared a house in London with my parents in 1944. I think some relatives of his were looking for information, but have been unable to contact them.
    Judy Russell