Race against time to buy Spitfire

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7017759.stm

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The iconic planes had a significant role in WWII - understatement of the century!

efforts to raise one of the last existing Sunderland sea planes from the sea bed off Pembroke Dock - first I've heard of this and am excited by the thought!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I'm rather ambivelant about the above group buying the Spit. They seem very strapped for cash, and they are a new outfit - one wonders how they are going to manage the restoration costs, and whether cash flow problems may delay any restoration that a better financed outfit could carry out.

It's a noble idea but.....

4. Antipodean Andy

If the Spit hasn't been bought by an enthusiast abroad, or even stirred up interest in the UK, she must be pretty rough. That said, Spits have flown from tangled masses of wreckage.

It is a noble idea (and who wouldn't want a Spit resto project?) but the recovery of the Sunderland would be a more "worthy" thing to support especially given its significance to the area?

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It's a BBC local-interest story concentrating on the group rather than the Spit - so we don't know which one it is or what other interest has been shown from groups in Britain or abroad.

But yes, the Sunderland is intriguing - I'll try to find more details.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

7. Antipodean Andy

That Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust site is a cracker!

8. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

it would be good to see a MK1 sunderland next to the Sunderland MKV in the RAF Museum at Hendon.

There is the wreck of a MK2 RTTL launch of the RAF Marine Craft section which was lost during a rescue in the same area. it would be good if they could salvage her as well.

9. Antipodean Andy

Right you are, Morse!

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

11. Antipodean Andy

Excellent news! Didn't realise she was a Mk I.

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης