POW Interview Help

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Ferhilt, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Hi All,

I just found out that I have a former POW living across the street from me. I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions on how I would go about introducing myself and in creating a list of questions to ask him. I would like to video tape the interview or at least audio record it, which shouldnt be a problem for me to do.

Mainly what I need help with are the interview questions or an idea of what I should try to get him to talk about.

Thanks!
    Steve

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this Steve ... this may give you some ideas !

Notes and questions, POWs - war oral history programme | NZHistory.net.nz, New Zealand history online

Annie :)

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Of course you don't have to do it all at once .... depending on how well you know him .... maybe you could spread it out over a few weeks ... and maybe take a 6 pack of beer ( or find out what he'd like to drink ! ) with you !

Remember he's going to be very emotional once he gets going .... be prepared to just stop and keep the Kleenex handy !

4. mathsmal

mathsmal New Member

Hi

The New Zealand guide is good - I've based a few interviews on this. Just a word of warning though - you may find he doesn't want to talk about his experiences. Quite a few people don't, and if he was a prisoner of the Japanese he may not wish to discuss his memories with anyone. Do you know him via a friend who can introduce you to him?

If he does agree to be recorded, I'd suggest you have a pre-interview conversation to find out who he served with prior to capture, when and where he was captured, and where he was imprisoned. This will give you a chance to do a bit of background research prior to the recording and will give you some ideas for questions. It is a good idea to explain what you intend to do with the recording and of course offer him a copy to share with his family (if he wants one - not everyone wants a copy).

If it all goes well, you may want to consider offering a copy to one of the groups involved in the Library of Congress Veterans Oral History project.

If I can help anymore with questions, etc let me know.