Post WW2 cartoons here.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by David Layne, Nov 29, 2007.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

In the "Mosquito" thread Kyt stated he liked Giles cartoons so here's a good one.

Can you come up with a WW 2 related cartoon? If so post it here.

2. David Layne

Here's another one.

3. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein Member

Jon's "Two Types" on the loose in wartime Italy

I submit for your approval this wonderful Two Types cartoon by Jon on Page 47 of my eponymous Army Album: Ron Goldstein's Actual Army Album

Attached Files:

4. David Layne

Nice one Ron. I guess the sense of humour of the forum has been lost as we have had no response so far.

Will try again.

:laugh:

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The Yanks are here

Attached Files:

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Not hilarious but I've always liked this one

Attached Files:

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

8. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein Member

Another Giles for you

David

For anyone who seriously likes WW2 Cartoons I can thoroughly recommend "World War II in Cartoons" by Mark Bryant from which I have borrowed this lovely Giles Cartoon dated 19 August 1945.

The text in the book reminds us that VJ Day and the end of WW2 were officially celebrated on the 2nd of September.

Attached Files:

9. David Layne

Here's another Giles for you. He has to be the master when it comes to cartoonists. Somewhere in the U.K. I have all of the first 10 Giles Annuals. I keep threatening to put them on e bay but never get round to it!

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Love it, DL!

11. Antipodean Andy

Tom Scotland's Voice from the Stars has some excellent cartoons drawn by one of his crew. Not sure if they'll scan well but I'll give it a go.

12. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I rescued this booklet from a shed that was being cleared out, many years ago. Many of the cartoons are Giles.
    Attached, the front cover and a typical page:

Attached Files:

13. Antipodean Andy

Tank one is clever.

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

I like the one in the mess hall and wonder what the next uncensored line would have been.

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

probably included a lot of F's.

16. David Layne

I need some help with this one. This cartoon is taken from my father's P.O.W. "Wartime Log," and I don't get the joke.

Can someone enlighten me? What does "Poshton" mean?

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This has me stumped. Nothing on google but I have a feeling it's a pun of some sort. But in what language or dialect?

18. David Layne

19. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Dr Seuss cartoons from the war.

Untitled Document

Use the menu at the top for the years - there's loads in the submenus

20. David Layne

Kyt wrote, "This has me stumped. Nothing on google but I have a feeling it's a pun of some sort. But in what language or dialect?"

Here's what I have figured out. "Poshton" is the drunkards slurring of the word "Posten" which means sentry or guard.

The artists is trying to portray how a civilian would have to ask the posten, who is situated in an elevated traffic control device, permission to cross the road to retrieve his hat.

Similarly a P.O.W. would have to ask the posten in his tower permission to retrieve a hat that had blown over the wire.

The artist view of life in a Totalitarian regime.