Possible Absence

Discussion in 'Latest News' started by Kyt, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I may be off for a couple of days (am keeping my fingers that I am not). My computer is playing silly buggers and cutting out all the time with no warning. After a full diagnostic it seems most likely to be a hardware problem and so I have had to order a new computer.

But as usual, it will take a few days to arrive. If this one should finally die before then, then it will be a good opportunity to catch up with my reading :)

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hope all goes well Kyt!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers Spidge. Am still clinging on, and praying for this one to last a few more days. No point tryingto get it repaired due to cost.

My only concern with a new computer is that it comes with Vista :frusty: But it was cheap enough as I only bought the tower. Oh well.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it wasn't my puter. its not catching.

And Vista ain't so bad now it's on its newer version.

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Hope she holds together on finals, Kyt, and the new one isn't too much of a headache with Vista.

I only have Vista on the laptop which I pretty much only use as a word processor and net surfer. All my publishing work gets done on the desktop which still has the previous Windows. I'm sure Vista is fine but...

6. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Are people still experiencing problems trying to get all of their peripheral equipment working?

Hope you get it sorted soon Kyt.

7. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

8. Hugh

Hugh New Member

New computers

In my experience cutting out is usually caused by an overheating problem - possible power unit fault or maybe one of the fans has stopped working. I had a similar problem with someone’s computer recently, when I opened it up it was covered in dust; the answer, got the hoover out and very carefully vacuumed the motherboard - it's as good as new now.

I hope you can hold out till your new one arrives - I am a tad jealous though my wife won’t let me have a new one just yet :cry_smile:

Regards
    Hugh

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Funny you should say that Hugh as that's what I've been hearing from other quarters too. I have tried the hoover trick externally but ave to admit to being a wimp when it comes to opening the puter up....but any excuse to get a shiny computer.

I may open this one up once that arrives but I don't want to risk anything until I have a backup.

10. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Wow that makes me feel quite brave Kyt! I thought everybody took it to pieces before admitting that they haven't a clue! I fall into the category of a "little" knowledge being a dangerous thing. I can get quite miffed when asked "stupid" questions but quickly retreat when the conversation relates to anything less than 20 years old!!! Bring back DOS, punched cards etc. (the first computer I used had valves and was in a museum)!!!!!

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Am doing OK with Vista, but its the small changes that are bugging me. There is now no move option for files, I have to bring up the file list and drag and drop. And when saving items/images from the internet they get lost unless i remember to then open the file list to place them where i want them. That is driving me nuts.

Hugh, my laptop has gone majorly wrong, it shrieks then shuts down completely, either from a mild movement or sometimes when the power cable is moved if that is in use. And the light on the power cable goes out too. I suspect a power supply issue but any ideas?

12. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Kitty,
    More at home with a PC, but how old is the laptop and is it ok when you just use the battery without the power cord connected?

Regards
    Hugh

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i think its about 3 to 4 years old, and even on battery it suddenly shrieks and dies, and will need the battery removing several time sin order ot get it back to life. sometimes don't even make it to the log in before it dies. I suspect it's dead.

14. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Kitty,
    Your battery has a finite life and can be charged/discharged only so many times before it gives up the ghost. It could be just that, but with computers you're never 100% sure.

Regards
    Hugh

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

wish it were, but won't even work on th epower cable, where its working ok then suddenly dies and the light on the cable box is out. Think i need to take it to the doctors. :(

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Well I have a new computer. I had to cancel the original order because delivery was taking so long and then go buy one from the store itself (and bite the bullet and pay £15 for the taxi)...

...all because my other one finally completely died last night. I think it was a problem with the hard drive as I kept getting as far as the bootup stage before it crashed.

And now the fun really starts.......VISTA aaarrrrggghhhh

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

OK, after 6 hours if setting up the computer I can see that I am going to be chucking it out the window soon. :frusty: XP actually seems logical compared to this :noidea:

18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Ha! So now I get to laugh at you instead of the other way around :>

19. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

ya but............

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I know its more amusing, but its fun watching Kyt floundering with a new puter