Poole Naval Base & Scottish Trawlers

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by morten, Mar 24, 2009.

1. morten

morten Member

Hello. I'm interested in Poole's role as a naval base during WW1. I've made enquiries at my local history centre and county records office but haven't had any luck. The only reference that I have found was in a local history book. It mentions that Poole men crewed trawlers that were brought to the port from Scotland and that they were used for minesweeping duties.

I'm researching men born or connected with the Poole/Bournemouth area. My research is heavily skewed towards army records so I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction - especially as to the availability of any online records that I can search. Many thanks. Regards. Morten

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Morten !

I don't know if you are local or not .... but you might start by checking the Poole and Bournemouth Cemeteries and see if any of the WW1 burials are of local men ... I know that there are memorials also for sailors who's bodies weren't found !

Poole Cemeteries

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_Results.aspx?=cemetery&CemeteryName=poole&send.x=26&send.y=9

Bournemouth Cemeteries

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery...ry&CemeteryName=bournemouth&send.x=0&send.y=0

You might also try the local papers at the library or the history center .... the newspapers all over the country published casualty reports at least weekly .... some included photos of the men and small bios

You might also try the Absentee Voters lists for 1918 .... you may find some names there

And lastly ... try the War Memorials in the area and check the names against the CWGC

You still haven't answered my question as to why you are looking for these men .... are you starting an Honour Roll ?

Love to help but we need a little more information !! :)

Annie :)

3. morten

morten Member

Hello Annie

I'm sorry. I will always answer anyone who kindly takes the time to reply so I must not have read your (other) post?
    I'm a Pooley so have a local interest. I plan to write up my research so that these brave men are never forgotten and produce something that would be of benefit to local historians/genealogists. I hasten to add that I have no interest in making any financial gain out of my research. At the same time, I can produce a more detailed Roll of Honour than presently exists.

I have been researching for three years now. I have visited all of the cemeteries in Bmth/Poole, been through the local papers, and visited churches to look at war memorials. Of your other useful suggestions - I have yet to look at the Absentees Voters List for Poole (it's held at Dorchester). A similar list for Bournemouth doesn't exist but I have looked through the Burgess Roll and taken some information from that source.

I have drawn a blank though re- these Scottish trawlers. nothing at Poole Local History Centre or at Dorchester. Maybe crew lists etc. are held elsewhere?

Thanks again for replying

Morten

4. liverpool annie

You might get in touch with the Poole Harbour Commissioners

http://www.phc.co.uk/about_history_1916.html

Though it looks like the habour was used mostly in WW2 in readiness for the D-Day landings !!

I found this WW1 headstone at Kings Park cemetery ......

Attached Files:

5. morten

morten Member

Thanks again Annie. Yes, Poole Harbour's important role in WWII seems relatively well known but the WW1 period has been neglected. Whether that's because of the longer passage of time or because secrecy measures were better maintained, I don't know? Regards Morten

6. liverpool annie

In Memory of
    Deck Hand W H GEORGE

11113/DA, H.M.S. "White Oak.", Royal Naval Reserve
    who died age 29
    on 26 October 1916
    Son of John George, of Cliff House, Sennen Cove, Cornwall.

Remembered with honour
    POOLE CEMETERY

William Henry George was a Deck Hand 11113/DA in the Royal Naval Reserve on HMS White Oak. HMS White Oak was a Fraserburgh drifter of 70 tons, built in 1913 and was hired into service in January 1915 and employed at Poole, Dorset. Dorset was a depot for armed officers. He lost his life by drowning in Poole Harbour, Dorset.

He is remembered on the Sennan War Memorial

Attached Files: