Places to Visit in the Ypres Salient

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by Craig Hold, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Craig Hold

Craig Hold New Member

My 12-year old son and myself are planning a visit to the Ypres salient in October this year. We have managed to identify a number of places of interest including Hellfire Corner and Hill 60 along with the Messines Ridge. We are planning to attend the sunset ceremony at the Menin Gate and to travel down to Casteau nr Mons to see where the first engagement of the war took place as well as a visit to Tyne Cott. I would be grateful for any information on museums etc that are worth visiting - I am aware of both the In Flanders Fields and Passendale Museums but would be grateful for any additional information about places to go and see.

Many thanks. :)

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Craig and welcome ! :)

Sorry to be so tardy in a reply to you ! ...... gosh what a wonderful trip for you and your son to take together ... you will give him memories of a lifetime !

Do you have a relative who died there ? maybe you and your son could research and follow a particular soldier ... that would make it very meaningful for both of you !

I hope somebody can give you some good tips on places to go ..... ! though it sounds like you've covered the bases !

Annie :)

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Craig !

I was just reading - that when you go to Passendale - you have to make sure you visit the Cheese Museum !
    Not only is the cheese fantastic (Wynendale and Old Bruge to name a couple ) but they brew an excellent beer there called Passendale which is supposedly simply stunning !

After a day touring the cemeteries and battlefields it's an excellent place to have a bite to eat - a nice beer and let it all sink in.

Hope you enjoy your visit .... let us know how you both enjoy it !

Annie :)