PBS Special - War of the World

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Ferhilt, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

The War of the World, a 3-part series based on historian Niall Ferguson’s book of the same name, challenges the notion that World War II was a triumph of good (us) over evil (them).

The first part of the series gives an excellent work up to the 20th century in conflict. Spanning Asia and then through Europe it portrays the human cost in the struggle for power and control. Of all three parts that I previewed the first gave the best historical viewpoint without much bias. It was a very educational and insightful piece.

As the program moves into the second and then into the third series the author and host Niall Ferguson builds the focus of the series into his viewpoint of “seeing the 20th century through new eyes.” While the series is in the end aimed toward a particular viewpoint there are a lot of historical and factual perspectives that aren’t always highlighted in traditional history, such as the suffering and persecution of the common people throughout the various nations.

While I disagree with a lot that is portrayed to meet his viewpoints there are quite a few clips and facts of interest.

You can read more about the episodes on my blog post: PBS Special - War of the World

War of the World airs on consecutive Mondays — June 30, July 7, July 14 — at 10 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings).