Patrick Blair : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, May 4, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who died during The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Blair, Patrick Charles Bentley played for Scotland

Internationals: 5: 1912 SA- ; 1913 F+ W- I+ E-

Patrick Blair was born on 18 July 1891, in Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire, son of the Reverend C Patrick Blair MA.

Played as a Hooker/Prop for: Fettes College, Cambridge University (Blue 1910-1913)

Profession: Egyptian Civil Service

Remarks: Played for Cambridge University (0-24) v the 1912-1913 Springboks.

War service: 2nd Lieutenant, 5th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. The battalion into which he was commissioned was a training unit, which did not leave the United Kingdom. Hence, he must have transferred to another battalion when he went to the Western Front.

He was killed in action on 6 July 1915, at Ypres, and is buried in Talana Farm Cemetery, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium [I. E. 10.].

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

He is remembered on the WANLOCKHEAD WAR MEMORIAL ... but it gives his regiment as KRRC

BLAIR Patrick Charles Bentley
    Second Lieutenant, 5th Bn (att 1st Bn) Rifle Brigade. Killed in action at Boesinghe, near Ypres, 6th July 1915, commemorated on Special Memorial I. E. 10 in Talana Farm Cemetery as although he is known to have been buried there, his grave could not be located after the war. Also included on Family Memorial in Meadowfoot Cemetery, Wanlockhead. Born in Wanlockhead 18th July 1891, son of the Reverend Charles Patrick Blair, Minister at Wanlockhead for 37 years, and his wife Jean (Jeanie) Bogle Smith.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Dumfriesshire/Wanlockhead.html

Attached Files:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks for the regimental information, perhaps another mystery is solved.

I'd attach a photograph if I could work out how to do so.

Cheers

Gareth

4. liverpool annie

Andy Pay would be able to fill you in on the Rifle Brigade Gareth ..... I'll see if I can draw his attention to it !! :)

As to posting pictures ..... one way to do it is ...... if you scroll down after you've typed your message to "manage attachments " click on there - choose your file - then upload - and Bobs your Uncle !! :D

Though sometimes you may have to wait a few seconds until it loads !! .... but try it and see !!

Annie :)

5. liverpool annie

Fettes College WW1 Memorial .... a little hard to see but Patrick is there !

Attached Files:

6. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Gareth,
    He was killed in an attack on International Trench, the war diary accounts are quite long and extensive if you would like them. I have quite a few pictures of him while at Cambridge playing rugby in 1911, 1912 & 1913 with the team if you need them but none in uniform.

His blues record reads as follows:-
    Born 1891. At Fettes, Edinburgh, seven years, and got his colours for hockey and fives. Was in the rugby fifteen two years. King's College, Cambridge, October 1910, and in Varsity Fifteen 1910, 11 & 12. Played for Scotland 1913. Also in College Fifteen and Hockey Eleven, and Captain of Hockey Club. Address: Manse of Wanlockhead, Leadhills, N.B.

Andy

7. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

These old pictures are a bit iffy sometimes with resizing. Blair is the top row on the far left.

Andy

Attached Files:

8. liverpool annie

Good photo Andy ! .... I love the old ones ........ just as an aside ...... looks like it must have been a cold day .... !! ;)

9. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Andy

Thanks for the extra information and the photo. Every little bit helps! A photo of P C B Blair in uniform is below.

Gareth

Attached Files:

10. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Hi Gareth,
    His Memorial stone in Talana Farm. There are 44 1st RB men buried in Talana Farm, 33 from the action of 6/7/15, the others are from around that date. If you would like the war diary and full size scans of the pictures at Cambridge let me know.

Andy

Attached Files:

11. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Andy

I would like a full size scan of the Cambridge photo if it's not too much trouble; it includes several players of interest.

Cheers

Gareth

12. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Gareth,
    A little more on Blair for you. This is from the 1915 Rifle Brigade Chronicle.

Andy

Attached Files:

13. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Andy

Thanks for the extra information.

Gareth