P-51 Infosheet Required

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Keith, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Fellow Aeronuts,
    My name is Keith, keen scratchbuild aeromodeller.
    Hoping to start a new venture, P-51, having a problem finding a well detailed and acurate
    3-view and cut-away to use as a starting point.
    I have a spare Saito 4 stroke looking to me to find it a good new host.
    Can any of the forum help me find same to create a 1/4 scale masterpiece, I hope.
    Cheers
    Keith

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome Keith,

not being a model builder I can't help much but have you tried some of the modeling forums? Seems most that are available have to be bought. However, have you tried these:

RC Model Airplanes Free Plans! - Site Search

Some require a DXF (CAD drawing) viewer which are readily available for free, for example freedwgviewer.

Presumably something like this isn't detailed enough:

P 51 D

[​IMG]

3. Keith

Keith New Member

P-51 Infosheet

Hi Kyt,
    Many thanks for your interest, your 3view is the best i've seen so far.
    Trying to build true to scale, I will continue looking for a good cut-away
    Again thanks for your contribution.
    Someone has said to try Russia as a source !
    I know Hangar 9 do a nice RTF but it's not the same, I am a builder not a pilot, but I am learning..
    Cheers
    Keith.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This may help:

P-51

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Kyt,
    Again thanks for Russian Site info.
    This may be the one where I had some info from for my last model which I think may be of interest, a 70" Lysander with passenger gun mounted in rear of cockpit.
    When I find out how to send a pic I'll send you one.
    Cheers
    Keith

6. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

See: pp 94-97: ""Classic World War II Aircrat Cutaways" by Bill Gunston, 1995. Osprey Aerospace. This contains some excellent cutaway linedrawings, one port, one starboard, as well as a detail of the cockpit which includes where the individual instruments were. Two pages (front & back) are double wide (foldout).

I wonder it the official Army Aircorps TM manual might also help.

7. Keith

Keith New Member

P-51 Help

Hi Interrogater,
    Thanks for your help I will check it out.
    I've just realised what a marvelous site this is turning out to be !
    Cheers
    Keith

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Hi Keith

See if you can get in touch with a Dick Phillips in the US. I don't have his contact details handy but pop on Warbird Information Exchange and ask around for him. He is THE P-51 guru and should be able to point you in the right direction if he can't help you with his collection.

Failing that, I have some contacts in the UK that can put you in touch with some Mustang owners. Also, ask Geedee on this forum. He is currently building a cockpit for a P-51.

9. Geedee

Geedee Guest

Hi Keith

Found these on ebay...380002688821 Aviation P-51 Mustang 2/3 Scale Aircraft Plans - Engine....might be of use.

Other than that, I do have the full set of engineering blueprints for the complete Mustang range from the A to the H model...all 16000 plus drawings !!....but unfortunately they are not easily sorted into 'sets'. Around 2% are unreadable.

Again, I got this set from ebay. Certainly a lot easier than going to the Smithsonian and looking at all the original microfiche files....and a lot cheaper as well !.

Oh, sorry, forgot....welcome to the forum !