Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by sniper, Sep 21, 2007.

1. sniper

sniper Active Member

I'm very soon off to Ontario in Canada so if anyone needs a photo from there i will do my best to get it for you. I'll be based around St Cathrines but will be visiting Ottawa as well.

Take care
    Mike :peep:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hope you have a great holiday ( or is it work?) - bet Spidge'll be in touch.

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Kyt,

Bit of both as i'm going over mainly to have a meeting with Veterans Affairs Canada but will also be visiting rellies while there. Going for 10 days and most of it will be spent in Ottawa or in cemeteries on project business.
    I'll still be able to pop in now and again providing i can get a free internet wireless connection.
    Take care
    Mike :peep:

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hope it's not all work, and at least some play :dance: - wouldn't want Sniper to be a dull boy :)

Bring back lots of pictures of :canada:

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mike,

Yes I do have have a list if you are able to accommodate it into your schedule. They are spotted around with none actually in greater Ontario.

I will forward the spreadsheet as soon as I can.

Hope your meeting goes well and achieves all of your objectives.

Cheers

Geoff

6. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

I'll do whatever in can for you, certainly Ottawa Beechwood and the memorial. I already have Dunnville which i did on my last trip so will email you those sometime today.
    Don't worry Kyt i will bring back lots of photos though i think most will be of war graves, lol.
    Take care all
    Mike

7. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi All

Just to let you all know that we are now in Canuckland and will be heading to Ottawa later today. Having a good trip so far and will be trying to get to all the cemeteries as and when we are able to.
    Hope your having good weather wherever you are.
    Take care
    Mike (Sniper)

8. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

nice to hear that you are enjoying yourself over there!

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hope everything goes as planned Mike.

10. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

Just to let you know that i have got Ottawa Memorial and i'm hoping that i can get it processed while i'm here so i can get the photos you want to you. Also been to Notre Dame cemetery today, its not a big one but some of the casualties are buried all over the place rather than i nice rows. The largest one is Beechwood cemetery is huge though most are all in one area though there are a few scattered around. Lastly, Pinecrest i am hoping that its quite small as i only have a few to get from there. Travelling back down to St Cathrines near Toronto tomorrow after visiting the Canadian War Museum. Will hopefully be able to post some photos of that on the forum at a later stage.
    Have fun all.
    Mike (Sniper) :peep:

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Mike.

Hope you are getting time for a pint and a big fillet steak!:)

12. sniper

sniper Active Member

Had the steak but don't drink alcohol so the pint is out. However i will be seeing some night life at some stage, lol.

Sniper :peep:

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

You know I meant milk!:noidea:

14. rlaughton

rlaughton http://www.militarian.com/account/avatar

Refreshing an Ontario, Canada post .... we must go on!

When I have had enough of the MATRIX I turn into the "Grave Hunter" here in Ontario.

Last year I put together all the information on the soldiers from the Town of Milton where I live so the local students could go on-line and not only find out what men and women were killed in the Great War, but also where they died, where they are buried and most importantly for them "how they died".

I cut a deal with the Milton Historical Society that if I built them a web site they would let me put all the Milton Soldiers on the site, so for those that are interested in this (as a model for their community) you can find it at:

Milton Soldiers in the Great War

For those of you that like Google Earth, you will see a link on that page as well for the tour of their grave sites. It is not complete yet, as that is my 2008 project for Milton, but it "flies you" from the Milton Memorial and Cemetery in Canada to those in France. It was my first learning experience incorporating pictures on Google Earth in addition to overlays. A great hobby if you are into GPS and Geo-caching as well.

There is a junior version of this on a blog site which we are all starting to use this year for the communities across Canada. The main site is here:

Great War Soldiers of Canadian Communities

And for the die-hard the index of the blogs for special Canadian soldiers of the Great War, such as the "Final Centenarians" and the "Last To Die".

CEF WW1 Soldier Blogs

Anyone else is welcome to add to the list with their personal works.

Richard of Ontario
    The Grave Hunter