Norfolk Regiment 3rd Bn

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by traci, Aug 29, 2012.

1. traci

traci New Member

My grandads brother lied about his age and inlisted for WW1

I know he's buried at walton cemetry date of death 10/02/1915 ages 17 (although I beleive he was only 16)

I assumed that as he was burried in the UK he never saw action, and maybe it was an accident.

But ive since found out via medle card he was awarded 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal, so he must have seen action in france.

I didnt think they brought bodies back in WW1?

How can i apply for a death cert, so I can see how he died.
    Do you think maybe he was injured and brought back to the UK and died?

Also it mentioned disscharge.

2. Montag

Montag New Member

Hello Traci,

Could you perhaps provide your great uncle's name, please? It will then be possible to ascertain whether or not he died in the UK.

Many thanks,

M.

3. traci

traci New Member

Montag, his name was William Hughes, and they came from bermondsey/camberwell/peckham area. Im at work at the mo, but I have a print off at home, with his parents details ect - incase this helps.

For years we thought his name was Archie, as my mums dad used to refer to his brother as Archie, but I think this must have been a nick name.

I know his war grave is in felistowe cemetary

4. traci

traci New Member

WE Hughes service no 9455 privtae norfolk reg. in walton cem

5. Montag

Montag New Member

Thanks Traci,

There is a death of a William E. Hughes, aged 18, registered in the first quarter of 1915, at Woodbridge (Suffolk).

M.

6. Montag

Montag New Member

Traci,

Whilst I am able to locate William via the CWGC, I am completely unable to find any record of him in the Medal Rolls Index Cards, either on Ancestry or via the National Archives.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=73993566&PIpi=46023033

You mentioned in a previous post that you have (or have seen?) his MIC; I wonder if you might be kind enough to post a link to it, please?

Many thanks,

M.

7. traci

traci New Member

Im just interested in the course of death...

8. Montag

Montag New Member

In order to obtain the death certificate and therefore (ultimately) establish the cause of death, it is first necessary to ensure we have the right man, hence the reason for checking his military details; no point applying for a certificate if it turns out to be somebody else.

Death Certificates for British war dead are held by the General Register Office. Enquiries can be made to:

Certificate Services Section, General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside PR8 2JD
    Telephone: 0300 123 1837
    Fax: 01704 55 00 13
    Email: certificate.services@ips.gsi.gov.uk

British soldiers who died between 1914 and 1920 in a hospital or outside of the battle zone in France or Belgium were issued with a French or Belgian death certificate. These records will be in French or Flemish.

They are available to view at the National Archives in Kew, and are archived with the catalogue reference of RG 35/45-69.
    M.