Newcomer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by William Patrick Hide, May 3, 2013.

1. Hi, I was in the British Army, Royal Corps of Signals, in the 1960's and am always interested in the comradeship etc. rather than hardware, tactics and the rest. I served with Americans, Canadians, Germans and Dutch soldiers in Maastricht when I was a member of AFCENT. I found the forum whilst doing a Google search for John Atkinson Wood who is my wife's great uncle. It seems that he was a Manchester Policeman who fought in the First World War and died in 1918. I also, in common with most Brits, have other relations who died in WW1 or WW2.

Regards, Bill

2. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Hello, William! Welcome to the forum! It is good to have you on board.

3. Watson

Watson Member

Welcome aboard, Bill. Hope that you enjoy your time here.

4. 8055BELL

8055BELL New Member

Bill,

Marymuseum on the manchesters.org forum would be interested to hear from you. She knows a great deal about Manchester Police Officers serving in WW1. My Grandad's RSM in 17th Manchesters was a former Boar War veteran and Manc. Police Sergeant.

Good luck and please let us know if John Atkinson was with the Manchesters.

Tim

5. Many thanks Tim, it was in response to an email from Mary Randles (Marymuseum?) that I joined the forum and started this thread. I have replied to her and am waiting for more information. Will keep you posted.

Bill

6. Hi Tim,

Mary Randles has been back in touch with the following, hope it is useful.

Bill

John Atkinson Wood was a Manchester City Police officer, he joined the force on 1st April 1912, aged 21 and single. He married Annie Eaton in the December quarter of 1917 at Macclesfield. John enlisted in the 1st Battalion Border Regiment on 29th September 1914 and was killed in action in France on 20th August 1918. He is buried at Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery and remembered on the Commonwealth War Graves website. He reached the rank of sergeant, and his service number was 5773.

7. Alexander

Alexander Member

8. Many thanks Alexander, lots of useful background information, will take a while to read.