Newcomer. Michael

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michael Bateman, May 5, 2013.

1. Michael Bateman

Michael Bateman New Member

I have been stirred into action by viewing two episodes of the TV series "Desert War". This has resulted in me beginning to look into my fathers service record. I found your forum when looking to verify the gun implacements on the harbour bridge pillons.
    I am a retired school teacher (37.5 years of teaching), but still working as a self employed arborist. I live in Canberra now but was born and grew up in Cootamundra.
    Dad didn't ever voluteer to talk about the war and I wish I had probed him more about it before he passed away in 1978. Most of the stories he told were of larakin/ good times such as scrounging food, and going shooting in the NT for buffalo to get fresh meat for the regiment.
    I am finding it hard to read the hand writing on the service record, but am getting my head around the whole thing by matching up some information on the 7th division with his service record.
    It seems to me that some of the places that my father talked about are not found in the service record, but I have only just scratched the service so far.

2. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Michael! It sounds like you are on to an interesting quest for information. Good luck to you!