New member- introduction.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jim Griffin, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin New Member

I have just joined the group. A friend asked me to try and identify a silver, circular pin that her mother had. Through the internet I find that it is a WWI Silver War Badge and this group was among the links. Now that I know that it belonged to a UK soldier of WWI I can get her to check possible names etc. The pin has a serial number on the reverse, but it does not seem to belong to any of the issues (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th). The number is preceded by the letter C, then the number 719261.
    As I said, I will ask her to do some family research for a WWI veteran, but is there any significance to the number?

Thanks Jim

2. Montag

Montag New Member

Hello Jim,

Any chance of an image of the badge and the number, please? To the best of my knowledge, a 'C' prefix denotes issue to a Canadian serviceman.

With thanks,

M.

3. Buster

Buster "Deep down 'ere in'nit Chief?!"

Or it could be Royal Navy, we had lots of prefixes back then

4. Montag

Montag New Member

Hello Buster,

I believe that Royal Navy SWBs had the prefix of 'RN'.

Regards,

M.

5. Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin New Member

6. Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin New Member

I checked with my friend this morning with my information. I made a grievous error on the number, but I did get some more information. There are two WWI veterans in her family - grandparents or great grandparents I expect - and I also got the correct number. Yes it is most likely that the C is for Canada, as both men were from Canada. I also go names so I will check out the Ancestry digitized file. The correct number is C 71261 and had a vertical pin. Perhaps there were different issues of the badge for Canadians for members of the Commonwealth.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jim

7. blackhand

blackhand New Member

Do you have the surname of the individual? I'm away at the moment (weekend only) but I'll have a look amongst my files to find out more info for you.

8. Montag

Montag New Member

9. Jim Griffin

Jim Griffin New Member

M. Thank you very much for your response. Sorry to delay my response - I was away all day. The badge is what is known as the Silver War Badge - it has a vertical pin, a circle with words "For King and Empire" on the top, and "Services Rendered" below. Like the photo in the link, only vertical pin, not horizontal. The number on the back is C 71261 and it is most likely that it was for a Canadian serviceman. The owner found it in her mothers possessions and she gave me the name of her two grandfathers who she thinks were both in WWI. Archibald Harris Scott and Douglas Price.
    Appreciate any help you can give me.

Jim