New book project: Photo archive of Nuremberg Trials

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Ernest Farino, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Ernest Farino

Ernest Farino New Member

I have launched a Kickstarter project towards self-publishing a new book, Images of Justice - Photos of the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials by Official US Army Photographer Ernest D. Farino (Sr.). I felt members of this forum might be interested in the project, and I welcome your support.

My father, Ernest Farino, Sr., was in the U.S. Army Signal Corps stationed in Germany in 1945-46 and was assigned by the European Command to the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials as one of the official U.S. Army photographers. This high-quality book will compile over 500 photos he took in the courtroom during the trials, candids of staff and military personnel on duty and in off-hours, and photos of the surrounding war-torn city of Nuremberg. The photos will be identified by their original captions and supplemented by official Army documents, memos, and military orders. This will not be a political treatise, but a photographic record of this significant historical event featuring many never-before-seen images.

Additional photos include candids of military personnel and troops at the army base in Nuremberg, as well as celebrities who came through to entertain: Jack Benny, Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth, Danny Kaye, Francis Langford, and Martha Raye.

You can review more images and details on the Kickstarter page:
    http://kck.st/1nziOk9

Great care will be taken to restore the vintage photos to as pristine image quality as possible, repairing tears and folds, eliminating dust and scratches built into the negatives or prints, and correcting grayscale contrast and/or sepia-tone color tint. The photos will be presented prominently on the page, and you can view a SlideShow of a sampling of 56 photos at:
    <http://www.archive-editions.com/nurembergkicksta.html>

Most of the photos will be annotated by specific caption information, wherever available, and additional information from separate sources (contained within this material, not from outside unverified sources) will be included throughout the book as available.

Also included (as an Appendix) will be additional photos taken by my father such as his rocket photos that he took in the late 1950s while stationed at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, including the Nike Ajax and Nike Hercules missiles.

I do not presume to be a qualified historian on this subject, and I am presenting the material as an archival record without commentary. I will endeavor to include an Introduction by an accredited scholar or historian on the Nuremberg Trials to provide some background on the period, the Trials, and the historical and sociological significance of this event.

Over the past few years I previously edited, designed, and published the 3-volume set of deluxe hardcover books Ray Harryhausen - Master of the Majicks by Mike Hankin, featuring Introductions and Prefaces by Tom Hanks, Guillermo del Toro, Professor Sir Christopher Frayling, Caroline Munro and Jim Danforth.

Thanks for your consideration,

Ernest Farino

2. Firelily99

Firelily99 New Member

This sounds like a fascinating and well thought out project. I would be interested in hearing updates from you as things progress.

3. Ernest Farino

Ernest Farino New Member

Thanks for your comment. The best way to keep updated is to check in on the Kickstarter listing from time to time at:
    http://kck.st/1nziOk9
    I'll be posting updates there as the project nears funding.

Of course, I hope you'll find the project worth supporting with a pledge; the project won't come about unless the complete goal is reached.

Thanks again for your encouraging comment.

4. Firelily99

Firelily99 New Member

You are very welcome! I will check out Kickstarter so that I can follow what is happening with your project.