Myles Abraham : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Abraham, Myles (‘Miley’) DCM played for Ireland

Internationals: 5: 1912 E- S+ SA- ; 1914 W

Myles Abraham was born in 1887 in Dublin .

Played as a Centre for: Bective Rangers

Profession: Civil service/Irish Department of Justice

War service: L/41819 Sergeant, Royal Field Artillery (Dublin) ; DCM Gazetted 26 November 1917.

He died on ?

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

3. liverpool annie

Myley Abraham
    DOB 1st Jul 1887
    Birthplace Dublin
    Height ()
    Weight ()
    Position Centre
    Honours Ireland (5 caps)

I've seen two references to his date of death being 1973 ... but no day or month !

4. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks. The year is certainly better than nothing at all.

Gareth

5. AEB

AEB New Member

I am Myles Abraham's granddaughter. He was born in Dublin on May 9th, 1887 and died in Exeter, England on July 7th , 1966. He was also boxing heavy weight champion of Ireland in 1914 and 1920. Myles was a sergeant in the Royal Field Artillery and was awarded the Miliitary Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was also mentioned in dispatches in 1917. He captained Bective Rangers in 1912/13 and played for Ireland 5 times between 1912 and 1914. Hope this is helpful.

AEB

6. liverpool annie

Hi AEB and welcome !! :)

Thank you for finding us !! ..... how wonderful that Myles is your Granddad ...... now theres something to be proud of !! :)

Can you tell us anything else about him ? or would you have any photos at all ?

Annie :)

7. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

AEB

Thank you very much.

Gareth

8. AEB

AEB New Member

What do you want to know about Myles? He married Kathleen Rowe and together they had fourteen children. When Myles retired he moved to England as most of his older children had come here to work. They settled in Exeter. His experiences in the war stayed with him for the rest of his life and he suffered from nightmares. At one stage he was gassed but he noticed that a lot of his comrades were choking so didn't bother putting on his gas mask. He held his breath for 3 minutes and survived; many othere did not. Another time his unit came under fire and his commanding officer got part of his leg blown off. Myles went to his side, under gunifre, and had to cut the remaining bit of leg off with his penknife and carried him back to the unit. The officer sadly died. He turned down the offer of a commission as he didn't want to be separated from his unit and his favourite horse (which was blind)! He didn't talk much about his war experiences apart from to my Dad who was interested in all things Military.I have got photos - copies of anyway - of him with his rugby team and in ordinary life. I'm not sure how to get them to you though!!!! Let me know if I can be of any further help.

AEB

9. Stephen Nulty

Stephen Nulty New Member

From the London Gazette

Attached Files:

• LG.JPG
      LG.JPG
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  10. AEB

AEB New Member

Attached (hopefully) is a photo of Myles Abraham with the Bective Rangers rugby team. Myles is the one circled!

AEB

Attached Files:

11. liverpool annie

What an awful time he had AEB ..... it's amazing to me how these soldiers were expected to just come home and carry on living a "normal " life !

So many of them had problems that they tried to cover up with alchohol etc ..... the cause of and solution to all of life's problems ! .... my own Granddad being one of them !

If you'd like to post a photo of Myles and need help doing it give me a shout !

Annie :)

EDIT .... you must have been posting as I was writing .... thanks for the photo !!

12. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

AEB

Thank you very much for the information. For some years I've been trying to assemble data on the international players who served, and it's always good to find out something about the man behind the name and the statistics.

Gareth

13. Mayo

Mayo New Member

14. Mayo

Mayo New Member

I believe Kitty was my aunt she would have been my fathers sister.He was Francis Rowe He died when I was about five.My brother and I are researching the family in Ireland any information would be appreciated.

15. Gillian M. Abraham

Gillian M. Abraham New Member

I am the eldest of my Grandfather's Grandchildren. My father was William John Abraham, who was the eldest of the 14 children of Myles and Kitty. The family lived in Abbeyleix and I spent many a summer with my Grandparents and I loved "Greenmount". AEB has written a lot of info, above about my Grandfather and I hope you find it helpful and as interesting as I do!

16. Mayo

Mayo New Member

I have already been in touch with Annie & received a great amount of information thank you.Kitty was my aunt & I do remember meeting her as a small child.My older brother remembers her and Myles a lot clearer.Thanks for your response to my query.I think we must be second cousin's? Regards John Rowe.